Classical Music Forum banner
41 - 60 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
I don't have a favorite of all time. The last time I had one was probably when I was 15 — The album Larks' Tongues in Aspic by King Crimson. :)

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Wagner's Tristan und Isolde

If we limit it to predominantly instrumental music, then Mozart's 41st Symphony, closely followed by Mahler's 2nd Symphony.
Do you have a favorite performance for the Jupiter? Could you please share with me which it is? ;)

Sibelius’ 7th Symphony has been my favourite piece of music for 25 years.
Sibelius 7 is not a bad choice at all -- it would be knocking at the gates of my top 10. I've always nicknamed it "The Miraculous" because I still cannot fathom quite how it's possible to create something so perfectly integrated.
Do you two have preferred performances for Sibelius seventh? Please, tell me which. :)

Wagner, Parsifal. Possibly the closest thing to ‘Perfection’ I’ve ever heard. The way Act 1 destroys your sense of time passing is truly surreal.
Care to please share which is your reference performance of it? :giggle:

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Do you have a favorite performance for the Jupiter? Could you please share with me which it is? ;)
I don't know if I could list a favorite. Unless it's a work I've listened to a million times I'm unlikely to hear differences in performance unless I'm listening back-to-back to different performances. I never did that with Jupiter, and it's actually a work I've tried not to listen to too much intentionally because I don't want to ruin the magic from overexposure. I think the first performance that hooked me was Bohm's (with Berlin, not Vienna), and I also remember loving Szell's. I find it's one work that's almost always going to sound great as long as some competent is doing it!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Do you two have preferred performances for Sibelius seventh? Please, tell me which. :)
I was brought up on Berglund Bournemouth and still rate that highly. Still my favourite has become the version with my top conductor Kurt Sanderling. It's not very Finnish sounding (whatever that might mean) but it a noble, deeply felt and mostly ideally paced version. It's very hard to get the tempi right across all the sections and most seem to trip up somewhere or other or the overall effect is simply too lightweight. I heard Segerstam do it live and he was among the best.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I was brought up on Berglund Bournemouth and still rate that highly. Still my favourite has become the version with my top conductor Kurt Sanderling. It's not very Finnish sounding (whatever that might mean) but it a noble, deeply felt and mostly ideally paced version. It's very hard to get the tempi right across all the sections and most seem to trip up somewhere or other or the overall effect is simply too lightweight. I heard Segerstam do it live and he was among the best.
This concert live is one of the best there is! Not the CD version of Bernstein/Vienna but this very live video footage.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Bartók's 1st piano concerto. I don't think any other piece has had such a profound musical effect on me - and I continue to discover new things in it every time I hear it. I love it dearly, and almost 15 years of listening hasn't changed that one bit.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Scriabin's Poem of Ecstasy

(other big favorites already mentioned: Mozart 41, Beethoven 5/7/9, Wagner Tristan, Mahler 2, Bruckner 5/8/9, Sibelius 7)

41 - 60 of 146 Posts