Classical Music Forum banner
61 - 80 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Bartók's 1st piano concerto. I don't think any other piece has had such a profound musical effect on me - and I continue to discover new things in it every time I hear it. I love it dearly, and almost 15 years of listening hasn't changed that one bit.
What is your favourite recording, or one you recommend I listen to. Your description makes me want to hear it.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Charles Koechlin's Le buisson ardent has been my favorite for over 25 years. I first heard this work in 1994 when I bought the Cybelia CD (its 1st recording that I'm aware of). Prior to this, though, if I was asked (in the early '90s or late '80s) what is my favorite, then it likely was the soundtrack for L'Imprecateur by Richard Rodney Bennett.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
My most favorite composition in approximate chronological order:
1987-92 Beethoven: Symphony No. 5
1992-97 Beethoven: Piano Concerto No.4
1997-2007 Puccini: Tosca
2007-2017 Mahler: Symphony No. 2
2017-present Haydn: String Quartet op.20. No. 2

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I'm sorry that I can't just pick ONE piece to be my favorite. My top three are Beethoven's Symphony #6 "Pastorale"; Wagner's Siegfried Idyll, and Barber's Knoxville: Summer of 1915.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Reactions: EvaBaron

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Wagner's Tristan und Isolde. Listening to it is like getting drunk and jumping off the cliff into the abyss, drowning in the void of the universe. Ecstatic, nihilistic, Dionysian... torment and delight. What's not to like?

61 - 80 of 137 Posts