Classical Music Forum banner
121 - 140 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Vaughan Williams Tallis Fantasia - a work which, over and above the sheer beauty of the sound world which VW creates, evokes everything that England has lost or is in danger of losing. It also has important non-musical associations for me. Although I don't really go in for 'bucket lists', I really would love to see and hear it performed in Gloucester Cathedral.
Ask and you shall receive...

·
Registered
140 Posts
there were no elevators and no telephone queues in those days so mozart did not write with that purpose in mind; i agree that the music is syrupy and repetitive, but those were the days....; it baffles me that anybody can like this today while there is so much exciting new music
I love both xenakis and mozart but mozart is actually far more interesting to listen to nowadays because there simply isnt music written today that is erotic and charming whereas much of the new music of today is in the vein of xenakis' avant gardism

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
brahms violin concerto at the moment!

Reactions: Xisten267

·
Registered
24 Posts
Agree this is an impossible question! I agree with so many of these, but if I HAD to pick just one, it's Shostakovich symphony 7, deeply personal for me, epic and gorgeous, resilience and hope over tragedy, and the ending always, always moves me to tears.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think I would have to pick a boring one and say the 5th Brandenburg concerto. Or maybe the third. I would also maybe take the first or second orchestral suites. To pick a definitive one: the fifth Brandenburg concerto!! It is a joy to listen to every time. The music flows naturally and novelly, especially in the first movement, it is very lovable from moment to moment and the themes themselves are enjoyable. The part writing is splendid and the structure is solid as a rock. The third movement is very striking sounding when it is not quaint, so it's a good contrast to the first.

121 - 140 of 146 Posts