Classical Music Forum banner

121 - 138 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Mozart's Don Giovanni. Listening to Klemperer with George London, etc. from 1955 Cologne right now.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Vaughan Williams Tallis Fantasia - a work which, over and above the sheer beauty of the sound world which VW creates, evokes everything that England has lost or is in danger of losing. It also has important non-musical associations for me. Although I don't really go in for 'bucket lists', I really would love to see and hear it performed in Gloucester Cathedral.
Ask and you shall receive...

·
Registered
140 Posts
there were no elevators and no telephone queues in those days so mozart did not write with that purpose in mind; i agree that the music is syrupy and repetitive, but those were the days....; it baffles me that anybody can like this today while there is so much exciting new music
I love both xenakis and mozart but mozart is actually far more interesting to listen to nowadays because there simply isnt music written today that is erotic and charming whereas much of the new music of today is in the vein of xenakis' avant gardism

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
My favourite piano work is Liszt's La Benediction de Dieu dans la Solitude. It is transcendental and never fails to move me spiritually, or psychologically, which is the same thing.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Mozart's Piano Concerto #24 in c minor.
I have so many favourite Mozart works (K491, K424, K542 ...) that it was easier to go for the Vaughan Williams, but I would say that K491 is my favourite concerto. I've seen it live just once, with André Previn directing the LSO from the keyboard - with his back to the body of the hall!

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
brahms violin concerto at the moment!

·
Registered
32,393 Posts
Beethoven Piano concerto 3 ( and 5)

Reactions: EvaBaron

·
Registered
504 Posts
"The Lark Ascending", Vaughan Williams. The first two thirds of the work anyway. After about ten minutes it's, "So land, already!". There can be too much of a good thing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Agree this is an impossible question! I agree with so many of these, but if I HAD to pick just one, it's Shostakovich symphony 7, deeply personal for me, epic and gorgeous, resilience and hope over tragedy, and the ending always, always moves me to tears.

121 - 138 of 138 Posts