Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious to know how the people on this forum approach music in general?

For me, there was a general learning period in my teen years when I consumed everything I could about classical music, even going so far as to read a small encyclopdeia on composers from Pre-Rennaissance to Contemperary. I eventually began to calm down and establish a distinct taste, I still love the whole of Western Theory, its just, like everyone, somethings more than others. Now I spend my time collecting what I consider to be key Compact Discs of my favorite works.

My Philosophy
"Treasure it, memorize it, to the point where all of its beauty sounds in your head at once."

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what I have heard Glazunov's 5th is suppose to be a 'Mammoth' that is unfortunately under appreceated. But I couldn't agree more about the need to memorize a composition. Composers made a vast 'edifice' with each and every composition, in and of themselves and it takes patients and interest to absorb their full 'entity'; truth be told I typically never like a composition till I've memorized at least sections of it. I've memorized many of the individual poems of Schoenberg's 'Pierrot Lunaire' (Boulez, DG, 1998), and it actually has much beautiful artistic expression equal to 'Wozzeck'. Complete 'Serlialim' on the other hand isn't music what-so-ever, at least with the works I mentioned their is a supreme element of 'expression'.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.