Classical Music Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is just out of curiosity. :) I am a Christian, and my religion is important to me. But I can't stand the kind of snobs by that name who treat people of other religions like they're just a bunch of primitive savages who don't know anything at all, and won't have anything to do with them except to "witness" DOWN THEIR NOSES!!!! :angry: :angry:
(Come on folks, ALL of us are PEOPLE, not "souls" who exist solely for your brownie points!!!)

·
Registered
317 Posts
...apparently religion and politics are two topics guarenteed to start 'fights' (not to mention world wars!)...LOL...

·
Registered
158 Posts
don't worry about the war thing, daniel won't let that happen B)

besides, we're all civilized people (at least I hope so).

you're obviously an nice person (and civilized B) )

It was a nice question, I am a muslim myself. as any muslim would tell you, religion is very important to us, because somewhat like buddhism, islam also includes a "way-of-life" meaning its a very hands-on religion, not something you just ponder about when you have nothing to do.

I am prepared to answer any questions anyone has (as I think I am the only muslim on this forum), and I mean "any question" about islam.

we are very tolerant and moderate people towards others, and one of the most quoted sayings by mohammad is "let there be no coercion in religion".

did I mention we also adore christ? :D

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I know that Muslims recognize Jesus as a prophet. They are also known for their morality. And I won't let the actions of a few radicals give me a stereotype of all muslims!! I hate stereotypes! I don't mind associating with people of other religions, especially not on something like a music forum. :) (Even though I am definitely not easily led as far as my own personal beliefs go). My main preference here is that the others like CLASSICAL music, and not be beligerent or hot-headed--which is why I'm here. B)

·
Registered
534 Posts
I am an atheist. I actually thought about this a lot, and I came up with a small theory. Those who aren't really interested shouldn't read below:

1. All matter always reacts under patterns. For example, if hydrogen gas is let into a room full of oxygen, water will form under normal circumstances. This will ALWAYS be the case. This is just one example. The simpler the matter, the easier the pattern is to spot, since matter always does the simplest thing possible. This is the first reson for my being an atheist. I think if sometimes matter behaved differently, then there may be a supreme being in control of it.

2. I believe the Big Bang created all matter the universe. One extremely small point of almost infinite mass explodes. I believe this because if this were to have happened, if the world had started out in a single point, which is an almost perfect pattern, then the patterns would multiply as the world grew.

3. Matter tries to keep a pattern going. This is why humans reproduce, and try to stay alive. This is why trees have seeds and flower every spring. If you look around you, you will see millions of patterns. Night and day, the seasons, cars, people grass, etc. I think if a supreme being stepped into line somewhere, the pattern would be broken.

4. Humans are one of nature's ultimate pattern-keepers. We invented mass production, we reproduce like crazy, and we always try to copy others. One guy puts on a cool looking shirt and everyone else does the same. Soon, the style is this cool shirt. This is just one of billins of little patterns we do not even think about in our everyday lives.

I'm NOT trying to make you become atheists. I am just explaining my reasoning, and hope that none of you take it to heart like many have before. My own mother gets really mad when I even speak of such things to her.

P.S.
dear oistrach13, are you really oistrach? :D

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'm a christian. I'm active in my church (not only do I go on Sundays, but I participate in groups, ministry and charity, too.) I go to a Methodist church, but I was raised in a Baptist church. I am comfortable in most Prostestant churches.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for sharing, Quaverion! :) As can be expected, I cannot agree at all, but I believe that everyone should be treated with ALL the respect due them as PEOPLE, regardless of their religious beliefs. What I feel is the very most important is that we love others as much as we love ourselves. But that is a universal ethic that people all over the world with widely varied beliefs know is right and necessary. This is made evident by the fact that this ethic is common to all the world's major religions.

Becky, thanks for sharing too--that's great! :) I don't know if it was from things you said or not, but somehow I was able to guess correctly about both of you. :lol:

·
Registered
534 Posts
I'm glad you think that way. I, too, believe that we should all act kindly toward people. I believe in ways to behave, but not the common reason. I think if one were to look only at how I behaved and not what I believed, they would take me as a very strict Buddhist. :)

·
Registered
333 Posts
2. I believe the Big Bang created all matter the universe. One extremely small point of almost infinite mass explodes. I believe this because if this were to have happened, if the world had started out in a single point, which is an almost perfect pattern, then the patterns would multiply as the world grew
There was a discussion on Max and Dan's site : Musical Horizonz regarding 'Nothingness'- Is it a thing at all...Very interesting thread, u guys ought to check it out.
So Quaverion, u believe in the singularity theory as opposed to the 'many worlds' hypothesis?
Me too. :) Do u think it's possible for a general cohesion between these two standing theory?
That the big bang occured as a singularity, and a random event of the 'many worlds' hypothesis, and possibly t=0 then... I never believe that t=0. :blink:

·
Registered
534 Posts
Actually, since I believe matter reacts the same always, then I do not believe in chance, therefore I do not believe in a different world for every chance taken. It is an interesting theory, though. Have you ever heard of "The Golden Compass" book of the "His Dark Materials" trilogy? These are the ABSOLUTE BEST books of all time! :D They are all based around the many worlds theory. There will be a movie trilogy by NEW Line Cinema ate the end of 2005. If you've never heard of them, you MUST look them up ASAP and read them all. They are kind of hard to get into at the start because they start out in another world, but at chapter 3 you're addicted! Our world comes into play later... B)

·
Registered
158 Posts
the only thing you were talking about that I actually recognized was the big bang part :blink:

you know, nobody seems to ask himself, that tiny speck of infinite mass, where did it come from? ;)

I didn't mention that muslims believe in the big bang. it was mentioned in the quran 1400 years ago B) (that and alot of other things, like nebulae and the formation of stars and planets from that dust thing :rolleyes: ).

pretty cool for a 1400 year old book :mellow: (more like 1420)

·
Registered
333 Posts
nobody seems to ask himself, that tiny speck of infinite mass, where did it come from?
Yes...it is an intriguing , enigmatic wonder... It's always stated that they came from an explosion of infinite energy...?
The many world hypothesis has been ruled out way looonngg time ago, but it's definately worth considering it a second time. Since, the big bang is an event of infinite energy( as much as that of the black hole)...then where did it come from? Did it evolved out of the singularity? Or did it escaped through another dimension? I think that's pretty possible... :blink:
It scares me to think of things like this. It makes u doubt your very exsistence.
There was once that I was reading about the many world hypothesis and so on...when one peculiar thought suddenly popped up. U know how Albert Einstein believed in time travel...which I think is highly possible, IF u're able to travel faster than the speed of light....
And if time mapping is possible( how one point of time, when folded like a piece of paper, escaped the time factor and make its way through another dimension at velocity faster than light. )...then can it be that we are a mere reflecion of what had been going on maybe some thousands or millions years ago in another dimension?...Weird... I stopped thinking about these sort of things when I left school...now Max's site got me thinking about it again. :blink:

·
Registered
534 Posts
I don't think time travel possible at all. If you think about it, when you're riding a bike, the things going on around you seem slower than normal. In a car, they seem a lot slower, and light speed would seem to make time ALMOST stop. But I think light speed is where a sort of asymtote starts. I really don't think that time would go backward if you went faster, it would just stay almost still.

Also, speaking of oistrach13's question about where the point of matter came from, there is a theory that has evidence to back it up that says that all mater in the universe is attracting and in a few billion trillion years the Big Crunch will occur, and the whole pattern will start over again.

B)

·
Registered
534 Posts
Originally posted by The Angel of Music@Jul 30 2004, 08:14 PM
I am a Christian too :D But I am not super religous. :)
[snapback]925[/snapback]​
That is good. I think no matter what one is (atheist, christian, buddhist, etc.) I think it is best to have some doubt so that you are always open to new ideas. The only people I can't stand are othodox followers of a belief. My next door neighbours are like that. They won't let their children learn about evolution in science class, or anything like that. They teach them that Adam and Eve were real and wont let them be submitted to any other sort of teachings. Of course, if they did find proof that Adam and Eve were the first humans, and that God is real, I would change in a second. :)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I agree with you, Quaverion, that ignorance is not the way to pass on values. My parents probably seemed to onlookers like they were teaching through ignorance, but in reality they were just fed up with how the SCHOOL SYSTEM teaches through ignorance, by only allowing one side to be taught. My parents taught both sides, and then when we were teens they let us research for ourselves about both sides. I have always been a "prove it to me" type, big time. :) So for me the reason I believe Christianity is because I have researched both sides for myself, and found convincing proof of Christianity.

Great question, oistrach13! You can keep pushing the beginning farther and farther back, but eventually you have to deal with the fact that the very first bit of matter could not have created itself, nor could it have exploded itself.

·
Registered
534 Posts
You have a point there. Matter cannot have created itself. However, I read a really interesting article that talked about how scientists did a very small duplication of the big bang. They had created a small floating ball made up of only leptons and other subatomic particles. I don't remember what had happened after it exploded though, but it did explode itself. :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
yes, it exploded, but where did it come from in the first place :blink:

I don't know, the whole concept resembles someone putting a seed, and having that grow into a universe (metaphorically speaking)

its like god took out a piece of dust from his pocket, threw it into nothingness, and voila, big bang :mellow:

·
Registered
534 Posts
Originally posted by oistrach13@Aug 2 2004, 10:08 AM
its like god took out a piece of dust from his pocket, threw it into nothingness, and voila, big bang :mellow:
[snapback]1049[/snapback]​
Yes, I suppose that is possible. However, I think the universe was just always there. I think the idea of "new" came from new arrangements of matter, but matter just has always existed, and people try to find a reason why matter exists and they find God. However, I could be wrong. There is really no way to tell, which is what bugs me so much. <_<

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.