Gershwin: The Man I Love
Porter, C: What Is This Thing Called Love
Rodgers, R: Where Or When
Wilder, A: I'll Be Around

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Fragment - John Taylor Sextet

John Taylor (piano, electric piano), Ken Wheeler (trumpet, flugelhorn), Stan Sulzmann (tenor & soprano sax, flute), Chris Pyne (trombone), Chris Laurence (bass), Tony Levin (drums, percussion)
Recorded 1975. First release on digital & CD. Wonderful compositions of John Taylor are played by excellent musicians.
Great spot. I’ve now downloaded it. I love that Kenny Wheeler is referred to as Ken!

Reactions: tortkis

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Is it common in UK to call him Ken? Another album of his compositions from the same label Jazz in Britain also uses 'Ken Wheeler.' I have not seen it elsewhere.
These two instances are the only time I’ve ever seen him referred to as Ken. He is usually always Kenny Wheeler. All the albums released under his leadership say Kenny.

Reactions: tortkis

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Craig Taborn - Daylight Ghosts (2017)

For anyone not familiar with pianist Taborn, he is the real deal. Not only does he have legitimate chops from hell, but he has feel, emotion, dynamics in his playing, and he is a great composer too.

With: Chris Speed on tenor sax, Chris Lightcap on bass, Dave King on drums.

Contemporary progressive jazz. Some of it on the more atmospheric side. Great band interplay.

·
Registered
15,446 Posts
I'm listening to Scofield's new solo guitar album on ECM. It's simply titled, John Scofield.

Reactions: SanAntone

·
Registered
27 Posts
Bill Evans: The Complete Village Vanguard Recordings,1961. Disc 1: Afternoon Set 1 and 2. One of my favorite "happy hour" cds, the music is great and the background ambience helps. Think I'll join them. Cheers and Happy Friday.

6061 - 6080 of 6080 Posts