Classical Music Forum banner
6121 - 6140 of 6179 Posts

·
Registered
5,670 Posts

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Was this Chris McGregor’s Brotherhood of Breath band?
According to Cafe Oto notes, Brotherhood of Breath was derived from Blue Notes, which was formed in South Africa in 1962, and this album was recorded by some of the Blue Notes members in memory of Mongezi Feza.

As a mixed race band under South African apartheid; this group of friends and like-minded artists - Chris McGregor, Mongezi Feza, Dudu Pukwana, Nikele Moyake, Johnny Dyani and Louis Moholo-Moholo - existed within a context that viewed their mere existence as a dangerous and subversive act. In 1964, as the pressure mounted, they joined an exodus of musicians leaving for Europe, eventually settling in London during the following year. Sadly, not long after arriving and facing continued economic peril, the group buckled. Johnny Dyani left to join Don Cherry’s band. Moholo-Moholo and Dyani followed suit and joined Steve Lacy on tour, and the remaining members morphed into a number of ensembles that eventually grew to become Chris McGregor's Brotherhood Of Breath.

In late 1975 however, Mongezi Feza - in the midst of a fruitful period collaborating with Dudu Pukwana, Johnny Dyani, and Okay Temiz - suddenly passed away at the age of thirty from pneumonia. Nine days later, on the 23rd December, following the memorial service to their friend, Pukwana, Dyani, McGregor, and Moholo-Moholo gathered in a rehearsal room in London and set out to play.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
According to Cafe Oto notes, Brotherhood of Breath was derived from Blue Notes, which was formed in South Africa in 1962, and this album was recorded by some of the Blue Notes members in memory of Mongezi Feza.

As a mixed race band under South African apartheid; this group of friends and like-minded artists - Chris McGregor, Mongezi Feza, Dudu Pukwana, Nikele Moyake, Johnny Dyani and Louis Moholo-Moholo - existed within a context that viewed their mere existence as a dangerous and subversive act. In 1964, as the pressure mounted, they joined an exodus of musicians leaving for Europe, eventually settling in London during the following year. Sadly, not long after arriving and facing continued economic peril, the group buckled. Johnny Dyani left to join Don Cherry’s band. Moholo-Moholo and Dyani followed suit and joined Steve Lacy on tour, and the remaining members morphed into a number of ensembles that eventually grew to become Chris McGregor's Brotherhood Of Breath.

In late 1975 however, Mongezi Feza - in the midst of a fruitful period collaborating with Dudu Pukwana, Johnny Dyani, and Okay Temiz - suddenly passed away at the age of thirty from pneumonia. Nine days later, on the 23rd December, following the memorial service to their friend, Pukwana, Dyani, McGregor, and Moholo-Moholo gathered in a rehearsal room in London and set out to play.
Thanks for the info. Great musicians, all of them.

Reactions: tortkis

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Any of their seventies albums. The one called Chris McGregors Brotherhood of Breath, Eclipse at Dawn and Brotherhood are excellent. Regrettably I don’t think they are available on anything other than original vinyl. You can probably hear them on YouTube.

·
Registered
33,147 Posts

Don't Ask My Neighbors

Raul De Souza (trombone), Byron Miller (double bass), Leon Chancler (drums), Azar Lawrence (tenor saxophone), Roland Bautista (guitar), Dawilli Gonga (piano), Airto (percussion), Harvey Mason (drums), Bobby Lyle (piano), Robert Popwell (double bass), Charles Johnson (guitar), Manolo Badrena (percussion)

·
Registered
12,409 Posts
FREDDIE HUBBARD - OPEN SESAME
(BLUE NOTE CLASSIC VINYL EDITION)

Trumpeter Freddie Hubbard burst upon the Blue Note scene in June 1960 with his auspicious debut album Open Sesame. Within 6 months Hubbard had already recorded a follow-up (Goin’ Up) and appeared as a sideman on sessions with Tina Brooks (True Blue), Hank Mobley (Roll Call), Kenny Drew (Undercurrent), and Jackie McLean (Bluesnik). Hubbard’s bravado style was already fully formed on Open Sesame with his brilliant tone and jaw-dropping technical prowess at the helm of sterling quintet with tenor saxophonist Tina Brooks, pianist McCoy Tyner, bassist Sam Jones, and drummer Clifford Jarvis. Highlights of the set include the hard-charging title track, a stunning ballad performance on “But Beautiful,” and a grooving version of “One Mint Julep.”

This Classic Vinyl Edition is all-analog, mastered by Kevin Gray from the original master tapes, and pressed on 180g vinyl at Optimal. (Blue Note)
Tracklist:

A1: Open Sesame
A2: But Beautiful
A3: Gypsy Blue

B1: All or Nothing at All
B2: One Mint Julep
B3: Hub's Nub

·
Registered
600 Posts
Facial expression Poster Happy Font Music

Sadao Watanabe (born 1933) is a Japanese jazz musician (saxophone) and is worldwide known for his bossa nova recordings. This album has been with me for decades and still plays beautifully.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
A Muted Reality - Angles (clean feed)

Magnus Broo trumpet
Goran Kajfes trumpet, Maestro soundsystem for woodwinds pedal
Johan Berthling double bass
Konrad Agnas drums
Mats Äleklint trombone, sousaphone
Mattias Ståhl vibraphone
Alexander Zethson piano, Juno 106
Martin Küchen alto saxofone
Alexander Zethson/Mattias Ståhl/Konrad Agnas/Martin Küchen/Mats Äleklint/Goran Kajfes handclap/additional percussion

powerful, spiritual, and very expressive

·
Registered
33,147 Posts

Shaking The Blues Away

The Coffee Club Orchestra, Rob Fisher (piano, celesta), Melissa Meell (cello), John Campo (clarinet, baritone saxophone, bass clarinet, bass saxophone), Ruth Anna Waterman (violin), Andy Stein (violin), Suzanne Ornstein (violin), Barry Finclair (viola, violin), Jay Berliner (banjo, guitar), John Beal (bass), Arnie Kinsella (drums, percussion), Seymour Press (soprano saxophone, alto saxophone, clarinet), John Frosk (trumpet), Joe Wilder (trumpet), Dave Gale (trumpet), Jack Gale (trombone), Dave Bargeron (tuba, trombone), Dennis Anderson (soprano saxophone, tenor saxophone, clarinet), Al Regni (clarinet, alto saxophone, soprano saxophone), Phil Bodner (tenor saxophone, clarinet), Garrison Keillor

Berlin, I: Always
Berlin, I: Blue skies
Berlin, I: How About Me?
Berlin, I: Puttin' on the Ritz
Rodgers, R: You Took Advantage Of Me
Williams, S: Tishomingo Blues

6121 - 6140 of 6179 Posts