13,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16,661 ·
Reactions: HenryPenfold

·
Registered
15,737 Posts
You're listening to mono? o_O
You must really like this opera. :)
I nearly always listen in mono on my One-Bud from ScanSound. It combines the channels so I have a bud in one ear but don't miss any of the music. BTW, my recording is from this set, so I wonder if there is one with better sound:

·
Premium Member
Haydn, Mozart, Vivaldi, Wagner
13,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16,664 ·
I nearly always listen in mono on my One-Bud from ScanSound. It combines the channels so I have a bud in one ear but don't miss any of the music. BTW, my recording is from this set, so I wonder if there is one with better sound:
I think the Naxos is the only one with a fairly recent remaster..
I havent heard that boxed set recording.

Reactions: SixFootScowl

·
Premium Member
13,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16,666 ·

·
Registered
9,130 Posts
This was the first recording of the opera I heard and one of the recordings that got me started on opera. I really liked it at the time, though even then, and even to my untutored ears, I thought Del Monaco just bawled all the way through. I did like Souliotis and Gobbi, though, even if the recording was eventually supplanted in my affections by the Serafin with Callas, Di Stefano and Panerai.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Dress Sleeve Rectangle Font Poster

The live recorded sound is awful, barely enjoyable on my system. Both Del Monaco and Callas are in combative mood. He belts out throughout as was his wont yet sings like a god, she is blazing and fiery, not backing down. The performance is tremendously exciting!

..I thought Del Monaco just bawled all the way through.
It seems that was the way del Monaco sang all the time. I have a DVD in which Olivero was relaying her conversation with him. She accused (?) him that he was incapable of singing softly and he thought about it and admitted it. I guess they were close enough to have that kind of open conversation. There is one recording though in which he sings soft in the appropriate passages: Fanciulla under Mitropoulos. I posted it a few days ago about it.

·
Registered
9,130 Posts
View attachment 168519
The live recorded sound is awful, barely enjoyable on my system. Both Del Monaco and Callas are in combative mood. He belts out throughout as was his wont yet sings like a god, she is blazing and fiery, not backing down. The performance is tremendously exciting!
The sound of the Warner is a little better, but not much. I suppose you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

The Cav with Soulotis was quite late in Del Monaco's career and I think one of his last recordings. He's also on the Souliotis Norma and he's awful on that too. He's much better on the live recordings with Callas.

·
Premium Member
13,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16,674 ·

Great live recording

·
Premium Member
13,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16,677 ·
Listened to act 1 of this recording earlier today. Not a great Domingo fan, but I like his performance in this. I like the ebb and flow of Thielemann's direction......
I'm not a big Domingo fan either, but strangely enough, i like his Wagner recordings. :unsure:

Reactions: HenryPenfold
16661 - 16680 of 16851 Posts