Classical Music Forum banner
16981 - 17000 of 17043 Posts

·
Registered
9,356 Posts

Is this recording any good? :)
Oddly enough, it wasn't universally acclaimed when it was first issued, Alec Robertson comparing Callas’s assumption of the title role unfavourably to Tebaldi’s more dramatic performance and Dynely Hussey making the strange observation that much of Callas’s singing was unrhythmical, which, given Callas’s legendary musical exactitude, now seems entirely incredible. I wonder if they ever ate their words!

·
Registered
9,356 Posts

I have three different recordings of Don Carlos though I usually quip that what I really have is three recordings of three different operas, as each conductor chooses a different edition of the score. Giulini opts for the five act version in Italian, which still seems to me the most sensible option, though what music to include or not include in that version will no doubt always be a matter of debate.

Ultimately, though, I don't really care which version they choose. I love this opera. For all its flaws, I think it contains some of Verdi's greatest music and some of his most fascinating, most fallibly human characters. It might just be my favourite of all his operas.

What a superb recording this is too, a performance that has acquired something of a classic status. Giulini has never been a flashy conductor and his thoughtfulness and introspection are well suited to the dark tinta of this wonderful score. It is also brilliantly cast from top to bottom. Caballé was at her peak in 1971 when this recording was made and this is a performance to se beside her Aida in the Muti recording. Verrett, caught before she migrated to soprano roles, is a vital, thrilling Eboli. The men are just as good, though Domingo, a little generic here, woud later become a more interesting Carlo. Milnes and Raimondi are superb too and we get fine contributions from Foiani as the Grand Inquisitor and Estes as the Friar.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
I see that Amazon have this but refer to it as Don Carlo. Strange.

·
Registered
9,356 Posts
I see that Amazon have this but refer to it as Don Carlo. Strange.
I always thought Don Carlo referred to the four act Italian version and Don Carlos to the five act French version, but it would appear I was wrong because this version is called Don Carlos and Karajan's four act version is referred to as Don Carlo. Mind you, I have a feeling that the titles have changed from one issue to the next.

So, basically, search me!

·
Premium Member
Haydn, Mozart, Vivaldi, Wagner
13,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16,993 · (Edited)

It's Vickie day!!! Love her :)
With a gorgeous voice, femininity, and subtlety she displays emotion.
Never going over the top.

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
I always thought Don Carlo referred to the four act Italian version and Don Carlos to the five act French version, but it would appear I was wrong because this version is called Don Carlos and Karajan's four act version is referred to as Don Carlo. Mind you, I have a feeling that the titles have changed from one issue to the next.

So, basically, search me!
I am totally confused about this issue. I thought I had it sussed decades ago, then I read things (not here) that boggle my understanding! I actually don't care any more 🤣

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
A big THANK YOU to all you opera guys, I've really enjoyed reading all the last pages of this fascinating thread 👍

Taraslondon - your passion and erudition is so uplifting!

• Love
Reactions: Tsaraslondon

·
Premium Member
Haydn, Mozart, Vivaldi, Wagner
13,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16,999 ·

16981 - 17000 of 17043 Posts