Classical Music Forum banner

What opera are you currently listening to / watching? CD/DVD

2M views 19K replies 410 participants last post by  Malx 
#1 ·
Share your current cd or dvds here.......................

#5 ·
... I have a new Boris on my Walkman which I'll listen to on my way to work this morning. I'll report back tonight. ;)

I can't believe just how much I love this already. Very different from my other favourite.

The Semkow is done with a lighter hand & tone (don't ask me for technical terms) but is still very Russian. If I was asked to choose my favourite between these two I couldn't.

Thanks Rob for the recommendation.

#3 ·
Kasper Holten's film "JUAN" based on Mozart's Don Giovanni

Kasper Holten's film "JUAN" in a word... "Awesome"

It's Don Giovanni, score and libretto abridged, yes... but it's so much fun watching. The English sub titles are needed, with the text flying by along side the music. The story is updated to "now". Instead of Leporello writing down Juan's conquests to a ledger... now he secretly records all encounters (hit and misses) in the thousands, on video (there must be a large hard drive on that MacBook?) I luv the singing, in the streets, in the shower, uptown, downtown, in train stations... everywhere. It fits the style of the whole film. What you do get, is no lip syncing. The singers were fitted with blue tooth ear buds feeding them the Mozart score, super mikes to capture the vocals and at the same time street noise. I liked the way the signers did sing voice overs, when their characters were deep in thought. Real opera... singing/acting were filmed in the streets and byways of a big city. This film is modern, cell phones, etc. The score and text are trimmed, the action, non stop. It feels sexy, dark, with danger around every corner. We know Mozart's Don Diovanni has class privilege, he's monied, and a master opportunist. His list of victims and conquests are a mile long. In this "Juan" you get an English translation that's "R" rated, and cheeky. Just watch Zerlina begging for her lover's forgiveness. it feels real, it's heady, and at the same time meaty stuff. To me the testy language fits this film like a glove. "Juan" film on DVD is an imported Blu-Ray. It's coded Region 2 - Europe. To play this Blu-Ray in the US, you need a Region Free Blu-Ray Player. I hope the "Juan" Blu-Ray will get a USA release date soon. It's been showing up at film festival's around the world... a must see.

[video][/video]

Chin Jaw Poster Eyelash Font

Head Chin Hairstyle Eyebrow Eye

http://juanfilm.dk/eng/index.php?page=historien

#4 ·
Mozart's Clemenza di Tito:

Font Circle Metal History Paper

#7 ·
Saw the HD Faust from the Met - it finally made it to cinemas in NZ. While I was looking forward most to Jonas Kaufmann, it ended up being Rene Pape who blew me away with his multi-faceted Méphistophélès. The best Veau d'Or I've ever seen, with wonderfl staging. I din;t think the nuclear story added much BTW>

#16 ·
i loved the no nonsense production. and Karajan's powerful conducting. flowers at the end were touching.

#19 ·
Face Head Chin Hairstyle Eyebrow

This recording of Handel's Alcina is the latest addition to my CD collection. Sutherland and Wunderlich are fabulous -- makes one wish they would have made more recordings together. (This one is from a 1959 radio broadcast.) There are no weak links in the supporting cast, either, with Norma Procter as Bradamante and Nicola Monti as Oronte.

#20 ·
Sleeve Musical instrument Font Music Event

Watched this performance this evening. I had listened to the music before, but this was my first viewing. Loved it. The fact that I briefly fell asleep should not be seen as a detraction from that statement. My little germans (dachshunds) insisted on joining me on the couch for some Beethoven. They fell asleep first and I am usually unable to resist their sleep inducing powers.

#31 ·
Gluck Alceste :

Great Great Great Opera !

and what a superb performance with Jessye Norman and Nicolai Gedda !

I can't believe I didn't know it yet ! I have to read Romain Rolland's article on this opera carefully, and I'll get to study the full score as soon as possible.

#33 ·
Two Lulu's Two Reviews

What a timely read...

Opera Today
Two Lulu's Two Reviews
by Jim Zychowicz
13 Apr 2012

Hairstyle Publication Poster Vintage clothing Ringlet

Lulu by the Metropolitan Opera

A recent release by the Metropolitan Opera, this two-disc set makes available on DVD the famous performance of Berg's Lulu that was broadcast on 20 December 1980 as part of the PBS series "Live from the Met."

Based on the production that received its Met premiere in 1977, this video makes available John Dexter's classic presentation of Berg's opera that James Levine conductor over three decades ago. The Met's production was a major event because the three-act version of Berg's score was still new, with houses vying to program it. Even though the opera received a number of fine productions since then, this production of the Met's Lulu remains a strong and insightful performance, which Levine led masterfully.

Dexter's staging offers a conventional approach to this unconventional opera, with wonderfully detailed interiors that give a sense of realism to this extraordinary score. While various obvious places in the video do not disclose the fact that this is a filmed opera rather than an opera conceived as a film, the direction gives a sense of intimacy which allows the viewers to observe the work from a closer perspective than if they were in the audience. It is a credit to the sensitivity of the production staff involved with the film that they were able to convey the interactions well, as in the finale scene of Act 2. Yet the film also gives a sense of this specific production with its closeups of Levine conducting from the pit, especially in the orchestral numbers that are part of Berg's score.

One element unique to this production is the setting of the film music ingeniously. With its use of stills which resemble Manga, the section has a timeless quality which fits well into the live action used for the rest of the film. The sepia-tone images and art-deco are entirely appropriate to the production, with a good sense of cinematic continuity.

The cast was outstanding in its days and their efforts remain laudable. Julia Migenes, perhaps known best for her depiction of Carmen in the film of the opera, is a solid, convincing Lulu. In this role Migenes combines her strong acting abilities with her command of the role. Her coquettish behavior in the first act gives way to an increasingly manipulative persona, which Migenes also expresses well vocally. The penultimate scene in the third act gives a fine sense of how Migenes handles this complex role.

As Countess Geschwitz, Evelyn Lear gives a classic performance which merits attention for the details she brings to its performance. Lear's Geschwitz is appealing for the dimensions it offers, as both a foil for some aspects of Lulu and as an individual with a compelling presence. Lear offers a Geschwitz with consummate style, which fits well into the production, especially in her impassioned final scene. Likewise, Kenneth Riegel's Alwa is memorable for the musical and dramatic depth it offers. Riegel's supple voice works well in this production, where his voice is neither lost in the full orchestral sound nor harsh in the more dramatic passages of the role.

The casting is evenly strong, with both the solo passages and ensembles well executed. The opening scene of the third act offers a brilliant rendering of the cocktail party depicted in the libretto, with the solo voices intersecting the ensemble and orchestra with appropriate style. Frank Mazura gives a strong performance in the dual role of Dr. Schön and Jack the Ripper, as does Andrew Foldi as Schigolch. These and the entire cast work well under Levine's leadership, which shaped this performance from start to finish.

It is difficult to fault this classic performance of Lulu, except for some aspects that are out of the control of the Met. The color was fine for television in 1980, but it seems faded, even in this well-produced DVD. The sound is rendered well, but suffers at times from the necessary placement of microphones for the broadcast. While not a major obstacle, such details serve as reminders that this is a television broadcast, not a studio recording of the opera. Thus, the subtitles are entirely in English, as would occur in a broadcast. Yet it would be useful to have the original German text as an option for the subtitles.

With several productions of Lulu available on DVD, this one is a solid choice. Dramatically and musically compelling, this performance has much to recommend. The sensuality implicit in the score is not overtly depicted, and so the parental warnings that occur with other releases of this opera are absent from this video. More than that, this performance has historic significance for being part of the production that introduced the Met's audiences to Berg's famous opera.

Jim Zychowicz

http://www.operatoday.com/content/20...lban_berg_.phphttp://

13 Apr 2012

Lulu by Gran Teatro del Liceu, Barcelona

Publication Poster Movie Terrestrial plant Advertising

Released in late 2011, Deutsche Grammophon's DVD of the new staging of Berg's Lulu at the Gran Teatro del Liceu, Barcelona is an excellent contribution to the discography of this fascinating opera.

The production was designed by Pierre André Weitz, with stage direction by Olivier Py, and its post-modern approach supports Berg's score through its vivid settings and facile staging. Unlike the conventional staging of Lulu, as found in another recent DVD which preserves the 1977 Metropolitan Opera premiere of the opera (filmed in 1980), this Barcelona staging plays upon the surrealistic elements of the work to powerful effect. With excellent sound and intense visuals, this recent DG release is a compelling presentation of Lulu.

The casting is impressive, with Lulu played by Patricia Petibon, and Alwa by Paul Groves. Both singers are fully engaged in their characters both dramatically and vocally. Petibon brings out the vulnerability of Lulu along with her ruthlessness. As the narrative takes the Lulu into increasingly complex situations, Petibon expresses her character's desperation in her acting and vocal tone, with a sense of timing that serves the music and the dram. Yet at the end, when Lulu becomes a prostitute in London, Petibon brings a sense of detachment to the climax, which allows the action to focus on the actions of Ashley Holland as Jack the Ripper and reactions of Julia Juon as Countess Geschwitz. Petibon's subtlety allows the staging to emphasize the tragedy, and also brings out the lyrical emphases in various numbers, as with Lulu's Lied ("Wenn sich die Menschen" in the first scene of act two.

As Alwa Paul Groves is appealing for performative reasons. The role is well within Groves' abilities, which receives fine voice in this video. His delivery of the passage "Ăśber die lieĂźe sich freilich eine interessante Oper schreiben" is memorable for the way it works well in the scene yet seems like commentary on the work itself. His clear enunciation of the text and sense of line supports both the part of Alwa and also his strangely intense relationship with Lulu.

Ashley Holland brings a similar command to the dual role of Dr. Schön and Jack the Ripper, a quality which allows him to build the dramatic and musical tension in the first part of the opera and then, at the end, to bring it to its tragic ending. Holland's Dr. Schön interacts well with Petibon's Lulu, as well as the other characters. The complex relationship between Dr. Schön as father and Alwa as his son emerges with appropriate edginess in this production. At the same time the final scene hinges on Holland's intensity as Jack the Ripper.

With the role of Countess Geschwitz, Julia Juon creates a sympathetic persona as Lulu's erstwhile lover and dramatic Doppelgänger. Introduced only in the second act, it is important for anyone taking on the role of Geschwitz to create a solid impression, and Juon does so from the start. Her obsession with Lulu emerges without overstatement, with her final lines haunting. Juon's performance stands well with Petibon's, as the two women create strong impressions throughout the performance.

Supporting all of this is the fine leadership of Michael Boder, who brings a fine sense of timing and balance to excellent sound of the DVD. Boder's interpretation is strong, as it reflects his sense of interactions of instrumental and vocal music in this complex score. The orchestral outbursts have their place in the drama, and are nicely integrated into the polished whole of the production.

Yet throughout the performance, the staging stands out for the bold approach to this landmark twentieth-century opera. The carefully considered and and well-thought details make support work. While this results in some provocative images, the results does not seem gratuitous Labeled with a parental advisory for adult content, this DVD makes a provocative staging available to a wide audience. The sensuality of the work emerges in overt elements, like the suggestion of sexual intimacy and the alluring sense of bodies in depicting the lust that is part of the libretto. As strong as this aspect of the production may be, it is never out of place or sensationalist. Rather, this staging makes use of those elements to bring out the narrative elements in ways that sometimes fall short in other productions. At the same time the vivid use of animal images in the prologue and first act make Wedekind's text come to life memorably. In addition Brechtian elements emerge in the placards with slogans in various languages that punctuate some of the scenes. "Meine Seele" or "I hate sex" seen to be non-sequiturs on their own, but contribute to the entire experience when viewed within the mise-en-scène of this Lulu. As these and other elements work together well in this production, they bring a powerful focus on the dramatic aspects of Berg's opera in a performance that includes some of the finest interpreters of the work in the first decade of the twenty-first century. A modern conception of the opera, this Lulu is simultaneously accessible for its solid conception of this seminal twentieth-century opera.

Jim Zychowicz

http://www.operatoday.com/content/20...lona_alban.php

#35 ·
Finally caved in and bought another CD version of Idomeneo that I'd had my eye on for months:

Product Font Rectangle Poster Terrestrial plant

The attraction here was the Idamante of Werner Krenn and the Elettra of Sena Jurinac. They don't disappoint. I was also pleasantly surprised by Waldemar Kmentt in the title role, who sings with a rich, baritonal, spinto quality. I'm less enthusiastic about Lisa Della Casa's Ilia. She makes some lovely sounds, but she's stil (for my tastes) not on the level of the ladies who sing this role in the two Glyndebourne recordings I have: Jurinac and Janowitz.

This is a live recording from a 1971 performance at the Vienna State Opera. Recording quality isn't always the greatest, and this is a version of Idomeneo unlike any other I've previously heard. Two first act arias are cut -- Idomeneo's "Vedrommi intorno" and Idamante's "Il padre adorato" (a real shame, given the quality of the two gentlemen singing these roles), and the entire section of the chorus "Nettuno s'onore" that includes the soloists is dropped and replaced by an intermezzo. There is also an instrumental prelude to Elettra's first act aria which I'd never heard before.

Nonetheless, I'm glad I have the recording and know it will provide me with many enjoyable hours of listening in the future.

#36 ·
I have an embarrassingly tall stack of opera recordings that I have yet to listen to. Among these, recordings by Richard Strauss, Wagner, Mozart, Gluck, and Handel outnumber all others (although there are also a slew of Verdi recordings in there). Sunday is usually my big opera day... when I sit down and seriously give listen to an opera or two. Fisrt on my list is Strauss' Elektra... for the simple reason that I have two recordings that I have yet to hear. Today I'll be playing this one:

Considering the stellar cast and my pleasure in the other recordings from this series of historic performances.

Reactions: rsmithor
#37 ·
Why so many "Lulu's? 2010 Marked the 75th Anniversary of Alban Berg's Death

2010 marked the 75th anniversary of Alban Berg's death in 1935. Opera houses worldwide performed Berg's Lulu between 2008-2012... it was also Friedrich Cerha 30th anniversary of his completion of Lulu, Act 3... Ending years of seeing the Act 2 version, played as a torso (a musical Venus without arms)... thankfully many of these new productions were recorded... (I'm hoping Alban Berg - Lulu Opéra National de Paris, 2011 | Michael Schønwandt, Willy Decker, with Laura Aikin makes it to HD Blu-ray DVD)

Arm Human body Publication Gesture Font
Publication Tire Art Poster Motor vehicle
Sleeve Publication Musical instrument Font Rectangle

Universal Edition performances of Lulu... 2008: 11 performances... 2009: 38 performances... 2010/11/12: 97 performances

http://www.universaledition.com/home-en

#38 ·
Publication Poster Entertainment Font Event

The long-awaited (well, by some of us, anyway!:)) DVD of the ROH Adriana Lecouvreur production with the fabulous Jonas K.! Yes, Maurizio is a two-timing cad, but when he sounds like this, it's hard not to fall for him. Gheorghiu is a lovely Adriana (this role really suits her), but Borodina, though singing very well, is quite matronly-looking. Of course, this underscores the fact that Maurizio's interest in her is really political and not romantic. Alessandro Corbelli is a touching Michonnet.