Premium Member
Haydn, Mozart, Vivaldi, Wagner
13,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,223 ·

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
Because it's there. :lol:
Clearly you are a young man with plenty of time to waste. I however don't have that many years left and there are many greater Rings to listen to with first rate singers, conductors and orchestras that will raise my spirits and not have me moaning and whining about the dearth of even average Wagnerian performers these days.:lol:

·
Premium Member
13,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,225 · (Edited)
^^^^^Remember what Hans Sachs said. We honor the old but are open to the new. :D

·
Registered
5,617 Posts

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Found the Tutto Verdi Blu-Ray set for just about 100 dollars, and that was low enough to convince me to pull the trigger.
Just started the his first opera that I’ve never watched yet : Lombardi

·
Premium Member
13,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,231 ·
Reactions: LeoPiano

·
Registered
10 Posts
Recently bought several different CDs of Debussy's Pelleas et Melisande including Baudo, Jordan, Casadesus, Desormiere, Los Angeles/Morel, Los Angeles/Cluytens, Micheau/Cluytens and the DG Abbado. I also have both Ansermet recordings on LP (I bought the stereo Ansemet set in 1971 and always loved it). I don't intend to buy either Karajan recording; I bought the DG Abbado for the complete Fr/Eng libretto, which turned out to be only in the DG Abbado set. Anyway, libretti apart, I've got to say that I do think the French performances are the ones to go for, and for first choice I'd say Baudo, then Jordan. I wasn't at all impressed by the Los Angeles/Cluytens set, much preferring Micheau/Cluytens. I found Abbado to be very good, but by the time I got to Act 3, I just wondered why I wasn't listening to a French recording of Pelleas. I also bought the 1945 Singher/Bidu Sayao set but Act 2 Scene 3 is missing. That's the Naxos issue. Anyone know if there's a complete version of that (live) recording?

·
Premium Member
13,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,238 ·
Which Furtwangler Ring?? I'd say go for the La Scala 1950, not the EMI one which has very dull sound. But then I've got the vinyl sets of both. La Scala is faster.
I have both now :)

Reactions: SixFootScowl
3221 - 3240 of 3248 Posts