Haydn, Mozart, Vivaldi, Wagner, Brahms, Schumann
14,586 Posts
Reactions: arpeggio

· Registered
12,431 Posts
Janacek: Anna Karenina
He briefly considered it, actually:

Vogel said:
Between 5 and 29 January 1907 [Janacek] began writing an opera on [Anna Karenina] directly to a Russian text, intending it, it seems, for Russia. He may have put his hopes in that country after having been continually neglected at home. However, in spite of some interesting sketches, especially for the characters of Levin and Kitty, the work was left as a small fragment.

· Premium Member
13,959 Posts
Poulenc to have composed an opera about La Goulue - I think he would have been the man to capture the frivolous, carefree world of her heyday at the Moulin Rouge during La Belle Epoque (Toulouse-Lautrec would obviously feature in it as well) and also her sad decline into poverty and alcoholism when she tried and failed to strike out on her own.

Reactions: arpeggio

· Registered
3,064 Posts
I don't think anyone has ever adapted a Charles Dickens novel. It seems like there would be a lot of opportunities there. Maybe A Tale of Two Cities? Or Great Expectations?

A different composer might also adapt Thomas Hardy. It seems to me that Tess would make a great tragic opera.

· Registered
4,977 Posts
I don't think anyone has ever adapted a Charles Dickens novel. It seems like there would be a lot of opportunities there. Maybe A Tale of Two Cities? Or Great Expectations?
I'm sure some of you gays would really get into them!

Kafka's Castle sounds like a good one: a man must strive for his destiny, even against seemingly insurmountable odds... and win!

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.