Classical Music Forum banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

· Registered
2,327 Posts
Unfortunately, Wagner did not live long enough to write his planned opera "Die Sieger" (The Victors),
based on Buddhism and reincarnation . That would have been interesting !
Prokofiev was planning to write an opera about the life of the nomadic Kazakh tribes of central Asia using Kazakh folk music , but died leaving only a few sketches . Too bad .

· Registered
229 Posts
Richard Wagner - Frankenstein

The book has that Gothic feeling along the same lines as the Flying Dutchman. It would have had everything. A bass baritone monster, the tenor Frankenstein and the soprano Elizabeth who redeems Frankenstein. Imagine Jonas Kauffman singing the title role. And the music would have been the greatest.

Giacomo Puccini - Phantom of the Opera

But wait a minute he did! Move this movie to the 59 seconds mark!

· Registered
141 Posts
Short-time lurker, first time poster.

the Hangover - Music by John Adams, libretto by Alice Goodman.
I know Adams is capable of elevating great topics, but can he elevate low comedy? Is Goodman up to the challenge? If done right, this could possibly be as fun as Cosi Fan Tutte.

· Registered
141 Posts
Another idea, though I don't know of a contemporary conposer who would tackle the subject: Conan the Barbarian (adaptation of the John Milius film).

Don't dismiss the idea so quickly. Conan is a MUCH more likeable and relatable character than Siegfried, and multitudes flock to see his story played out on stage.

· Registered
229 Posts
Another idea, though I don't know of a contemporary conposer who would tackle the subject: Conan the Barbarian (adaptation of the John Milius film).

Don't dismiss the idea so quickly. Conan is a MUCH more likeable and relatable character than Siegfried, and multitudes flock to see his story played out on stage.
Unfortunately Basil Poledouris is dead. But there is another problem. In your imagination Conan probably looks like this..

But when it comes to the opera version, Conan will end up looking like this....

· Registered
5,691 Posts
The Pickwick Papers is sufficiently episodic to make a good libretto. As to who, perhaps Ralph Vaughan Williams?

Back in my pre-historic university days I thought that W.W. Jacobs' The Monkey's Paw would make a good libretto - György Ligeti ??

· Registered
5,691 Posts
Tom Holt wrote a very amusing book based on characters from Wagner's Ring Expecting Someone Taller which is set in contemporary England...

"The story involves Malcolm Fisher, a hapless auction clerk in modern-day England, who runs over a badger one night. The badger turns out to be the giant Ingolf, brother of Fafnir, and Fisher becomes the new owner of the Ring of the Nibelung and the Tarnhelm, and, thereby, ruler of the world."

Can you imagine what Rossini could have done with that? OK, so the timing is a bit awkward, but then this IS opera that we are talking about!

· Registered
141 Posts
Dolemite
Music by Thomas Adès
Libretto by Byron Minns

A tale of revenge, and politics set in early 1970's LA.

I chose Adès because of the way he wrote for his brass section in Powder Her Face. Byron Minns for the libretto (in spite of his inexperience with opera) because he knows how to get the language correct without it becoming cringe-worthy.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.