Classical Music Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
The obsession with old European manufacturers amounts to little more than fetishism. Bar Steinway (and Fazioli, but that's not one of the historic brands), there's really not usually anything particularly special about them.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The obsession with old European manufacturers amounts to little more than fetishism. Bar Steinway (and Fazioli, but that's not one of the historic brands), there's really not usually anything particularly special about them.
Largely, must agree with this. Quite a few of those old European manufacturers are now owned by samick; a Korean company, unless mistaken.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
With respect, that's too sweeping. It depends on the individual piano. For sure the "old" (surprising adjective to use given the age of much of the music discussed on these pages, but let it pass for the sake of argument) European manufacturers are not alone in having made outstanding instruments but the idea that their reputation "amounts to little more than fetishism" overeggs the pudding.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
I have a Yamaha Clavinova which I bought in the 90's. It may be the original model. Still works great though the pedals can squeak. It replaced a beloved Fischer upright which I had had for many years before but had to give up when I moved.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yamaha SY99 - 76key FS synth-action keybed - Ivory II Bösendorfer samples.
It works as new and never been to a shop. No tuning or temp/humidity concerns. Buttery smooth key action and great piano sound. I've owned it for over 25 years for its synthesis capabilities, but am just now learning to play it. If I ever get to advanced level, I may switch to a Kawai MP11 or successor instrument for more realistic support of nuanced pianistic technique. But at my advanced age, that is a pipe dream. And I love the SY99.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
So . . . no one here owns a 7/8 size piano, eh?

I mean, they make 3/4 size violins and double basses, right? Drum kits come in various sizes; why not pianos?

Heh, but we can't change the distance between the intervals.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts