Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,
I was just wondering what kind of strings the string players here use. I use medium Helicores. I'll keep on using them until I get a proffesional instrument, and then I might switch to gut wound C-G-D with steel A ( the usual prefference among violists ).
godzilla

· Registered
1,022 Posts
I was worrying about that also before getting them. But if I play regulary, they stay in tune very well, I was amazed. And they are not too sensitive with humidity. But I had to play them "warm" for some weeks. Not to stay in tune, but to develop their sound. Maybe I needed some time to develop the full warm and lovely tone because they are my first gut strings. I really can recommend them, and you are rather not limited in repertoire.

· Registered
223 Posts
I have used Eudoxa for a long time, and none have ever snapped. I don't tune more than I do with synthetic strings.

I just put on a set of Olivs Friday. So far, I really like them. They are sweet and powerful, and gives my violin some authority. I can't keep using them though. The price...:eek: !

· Registered
223 Posts
On my violin they are very similar to Eudoxa. Only more powerful, more balanced (especially the A-string), and perhaps more complex (my last Eudoxa set was kind of old so it lost some overtones). If you like Eudoxa then you should definitely try these.

· Registered
2 Posts
Strings I Use

I'm a big fan of Larsens. But like anybody else, used Dominants for many years. In fact, I really didn't start experimenting with strings until I started working in a violin shop a few years ago. I've tried Obligatos, Prim, Helicores, D'Addarios, Red Labels, and like Larsens the best.

I feel Larsen strings bring out the best overall qualities of my violin: more of the darks, but rounder, more luscious. More of the highs, but sweeter, cleaner, more of the mid-range, but robust, choclatey...I know, I know, I used to collect wine. The descriptions for how a really good wine tastes often do parallel the tones of a good violin, don't you think?

· Registered
19 Posts
I like having an eclectic set up! I use Dominant G and silver D because though they don't sound very great they last a decent length for what you pay. I use an Obligato A and my E string varies upon the repertoire I am playing. Right now I have a gold Oliv but normally I would use the Universal E or Evah Pirazzi gold E. My frustration with Pirazzi's is that I love them but they go dead in under 2 weeks which gets costly to replace so I only use them for special concerts.

· Registered
11 Posts
I generally use dominants, as per recommendation by my teacher. I might start looking into trying some new ones, see if I can find some I really like. I'm Grade four standard, and do a mix of orchestral, solo, and chamber playing. Any recommendations?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.