Classical Music Forum banner

What voice do you have?

21 - 40 of 132 Posts

· Registered
149 Posts
another bass

I'm another bass... It seems we now have too many basses and baritones! Some of us will have to sing countertenor just to balance things out :p
I have a very bright timbre though, I sound like a tenor. Which is good, as it's just the voice I wanted when my voice started to drop :) I would love to sing, but I don't have a great voice. My vocal role model would be this bass:

http://www.cantabile-subito.de/Basses/Vanni_Marcoux/Vannimarcouxmussorgsky.MP3

( he's singing the death scene in Boris Gudunov )

I love low bright voices like his. Also I like the high dark voices you get in most mezzos and contraltos, and some sopranos ( like Rosa Ponselle ).
godzilla

PS; DW, you have over three octaves! I'm impressed!

· Registered
2 Posts
I'm a soprano, but I can sing really really low as well.

· Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Our "member-choir" now: 3 sopranos, 1 Alto, 2 Tenors and 7 Baritons/Basses, and 1 other voice.

Friends, we need mor Altos and Tenors! And some sopranos would be also good! We have a big "bass-ground" now :D

· Registered
27 Posts
Actually, as long as your basses sing well (rhythmically clean, and good pitch) so that the bottom is not 'muddy', I like the sound of a choir which has more men than women; acoustically, the bottom strengthens the upper voices, and it can actually sound in better balance than many choirs which have 'even distribution'.

Cheers,
~Karl

· Registered
26 Posts
i sang alto for most of my life and then my new voice teacher said she thinks im a soprano, so i switched in choir. i still have trouble fitting into this new label lol; i CAN sing the high notes, but they dont sound good. atleast not to me..

· Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
You can be also alto in our "member-choir". So we would have 2 altos, but I think you voted for soprano ;). Anyway, some more altos would be nice.

Daniel

P.S. my first statement that I am a tenor with tendency to bariton should be corrected. I think I am more a baritone, would be a choir-bass but can getter higher more easily than lower.

· Registered
5 Posts
I'm an odd one: technically, my voice sounds as if it has broken, and I can sing a G on the bottom line of the Bass clef, but I can still sing all the treble notes in a non-falsetto voice. My highest note is a D a couple of octaves above Middle C.

· Registered
41 Posts
I sing bass in a barbershop choir (i do enjoy other music aswell but me and my friend both agree, barbershop is the best none tutorial vocal training you can get and when those chords ring, you feel like you want to marry music!) i have a real problem with my range, i can't reach above a middle c! it really bums me out cos all my bottom notes down to bottom Bb (2 8ves below mid c) are good but my high notes suck. It does however mean i have a good falsetto so if u really need a counnter tenor i could try!
PS, if anyone can help me in finding and developing head voice for use in choral singing, speak (or sing) now!

· Registered
60 Posts
Don't underrate us Daniel. Our choir is FEIRCE..... we just dont know it yet ;) .

But suriusly, we gotta get this forum active again. I'm no one to talk, but we gotta do it for real!

Love ya'll

Oh, P.S. Tenor here. I look at the poll and there are 3 of us?!?!?!? :Gasp: oh wait.... lack of tenors is what gets me gigs, whoops. LoL

· Registered
138 Posts
Last time I sang in a choir I sang tenor. I believe it takes a real woman to sing low. I've sung alto and sop as well; I pretty much go where I'm needed. (In various choirs I've now sung four out of six parts of Byrd's Sing Joyfully . . . just need to pick up Sop 1 and Bass).

· Registered
162 Posts
Hey guys!

Im a bass..since my voice is so low...But I think I can sometimes sing baritone if I have the willpower to do it....Im having a choir class for school for this year..so hopefully by then, my music teacher will tell me what part my voice is in=D
Musically,
4/4player

Reactions: ST4
21 - 40 of 132 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.