Classical Music Forum banner
11481 - 11500 of 11530 Posts

·
Registered
Sibelius, Beethoven, Satie, Debussy
1,812 Posts
Jurassic World: Dominion (2022) An entertaining movie that gives good value for money. The critics weren't too keen, and it had its shortcomings, but the action never lets up, and it still had the power to impress with certain sequences.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Just finished watching (again, I think for the 7th or 8th time) Bresson's Journal d'un curé de campagne. Every frame in it, I swear, is an extraordinary photograph. I think it grows ever more moving with each viewing. I once read a review of it that described it as something of a "monster movie," an apt observation imnsho.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
It took me about two weeks to watch this in its entirety. It's about four hours long, but it's pretty good. Some of the performances are fantastic. I particularly liked Santana, Hendrix, and Joe Cocker.

Woodstock, The Director's Cut

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Lou Andreas-Salomé, the Audacity to Be Free, a film hampered by its low budget, but not its performances or creativity (old postcards are transformed by the green screen into sets - admittedly, this sometimes works and sometimes it doesn't). It's exciting to see Nietzsche and Rilke as characters, but as a NYTimes critic observed , "writer and director Cordula Kablitz-Post asserts Andreas-Salomé’s commitment to her own independence. But [her] focus on Andreas-Salomé’s suitors has the effect of chaining the early feminist’s legacy to exactly the patriarchal conventions she claims to reject."

Wheel Flash photography Poster Font Tie

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Yesterday I watch JoJo Rabbit, a film about a 10 year old boy with an imaginary friend.

Well that's the short description. It's a little wannbe Nazi boy in Nazi Germany in 1944, and his imaginary friend is Adolph Hitler (well, an Adolph Hitler as imagined by a ten year old boy).

After he's sent home from Little Nazi Summer Camp for almost blowing himself up with a hand grenade, he discovers that there is a teenage girl living in his home's crawlspace.

The film is an extraordinary mix of comedy and pathos. Oh, and Rebel Wilson and Scarlett Johansen are in it.

·
Registered
526 Posts

Robert Blake plays a small town Arizona motorcycle cop who dreams of transfer to homicide. He gets his wish but is quickly disillusioned. Badly dated "counter culture" cops v. hippies movie who's only virtue is Conrad Hall's luscious desert cinematography. Electra Glide was a Harley-Davidson motorcycle model favored by the police. "Blue" refers to the police. Three decades later actor Blake was acquitted of murdering his wife after a highly publicized and contentious trial.

·
Registered
526 Posts

Very loose remake of Richard Connell's The Most Dangerous Gsme, previously filmed in 1932 with Joel McCrea and Fay Wray-- this time with Richard Widmark and Jane Greer pursued by fugitive Nazis in the Mexican jungle. The bandage on Widmark's forehead remains plastered on for most of the movie-- it's even in the poster-- and after awhile becomes a major annoyance-- as is failure to retrieve the villain's loaded rifle after he is felled. Widmark and Greer run right past it. Regardless, an enjoyable action adventure of its time with likeable actors.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Yesterday I watch JoJo Rabbit, a film about a 10 year old boy with an imaginary friend.

Well that's the short description. It's a little wannbe Nazi boy in Nazi Germany in 1944, and his imaginary friend is Adolph Hitler (well, an Adolph Hitler as imagined by a ten year old boy).

After he's sent home from Little Nazi Summer Camp for almost blowing himself up with a hand grenade, he discovers that there is a teenage girl living in his home's crawlspace.

The film is an extraordinary mix of comedy and pathos. Oh, and Rebel Wilson and Scarlett Johansen are in it.
And Taika Waititi, playing Hitler, and directing.

Yesterday, at the Imax, another Waititi directed film...

Fans of "serious" MCU movies may be disappointed, but if you read this as a children's superhero tale, it works. Lots of action, lots of jokes (not all come off) garish design, Guns 'n Roses blare from the soundtrack and the actors seem to have great fun. Highlights are Russell Crowe's kebab shop Greek accented Zeus and Christian Bale's villain.

Next time I go to the Imax, I need to sit further back and take ear plugs.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Next time I go to the Imax, I need to sit further back and take ear plugs.
Ain't THAT truth (ear plugs)?

I went to the theater to see Jurassic World: Dominion this week (I rarely go OUT to see films anymore). Showtime was 3:35 PM, and the previews lasted 25 minutes and they were certainly EARSPLITTENLOUDENBOOMER.

The film was fun in spite of the plot holes of all sizes.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Ain't THAT truth (ear plugs)?

I went to the theater to see Jurassic World: Dominion this week (I rarely go OUT to see films anymore). Showtime was 3:35 PM, and the previews lasted 25 minutes and they were certainly EARSPLITTENLOUDENBOOMER.

The film was fun in spite of the plot holes of all sizes.
Yes, it certainly was. Mad but entertaining.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
One of the few Fassbinder films I hadn't seen: Ali: Angst essen Seele auf (Fear Eats the Soul) a compelling exploration of human needs and social convention, a riff on the Sirk movie: All That Heaven Allows, with immigration phobia thrown in for good measure. I once knew a German-speaking history prof. who had a friend, part of Fassbinder's production team. He told him that, esp. with the later films, it was a miracle they were ever completed. Fassbinder was often drunk or drugged; even to the point of simply not showing up for work.

White Font Snapshot Event Advertising

11481 - 11500 of 11530 Posts