Forgot Marriage of Figaro
Magic Flute and
Cosi.

Please add them in.
thank you

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
There are many great comic operas, indeed.

When I was younger, "Le nozze di Figaro" was my favourite and then I switched to "Così fan tutte". But perhaps, when asked today, I'll choose "Gianni Schicchi".

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hard to choose :)
Il barbiere, La Cenerentola, L'elisir, Gianni Schicchi are all fantastic comic operas.

I'd go for Wolf-Ferrari's I quatro rusteghi because I'm attached to the venetian vernacular.

·
Registered
19,691 Posts
It depends partly on whether I'm watching it or just listening. Mozart can provide a delightful evening in the theater, but on recordings I'm bored senseless by secco recitative and so avoid his operas. For pure musical nourishment I guess it has to be Meistersinger and Falstaff.

Is anyone familiar with Adam's Postillon de Lonjumeau? Silliest plot imaginable, and with good singing and conducting it's sheer ludicrous delight. Why don't they stage it nowadays?

·
Premium Member
Haydn, Mozart, Vivaldi, Wagner
13,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Reactions: Woodduck

·
Premium Member
Haydn, Mozart, Vivaldi, Wagner
13,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I love L'Italiana and Barbiere and Un Giorno di Regno.

Falstaff and Meister are in a class of there own.

Comic operas are my favorite genre, love them all. :)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Now I never think of L'Enfant et les sortileges as a comedy. L'Heure Espagnole certainly, but the former I think of more as a fantasy.
Yes, I meant L'heure espagnole! Wrong Ravel... Not an operatic vocal style I typically enjoy, but Ravel is my favorite classical (non-opera) composer, and that overcomes everything else in that work.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
La Cenerentola. It's not only my favorite comic opera but my favorite opera of all time. The only thing is, it's classified as a dramma giocoso, which is sort of a gentler comedy, so I think of it a bit differently than some of the others on the list. If I were to exclude Cenerentola, I'd have to say that L'Italiana in Algeri is my favorite -- at least for now; a few of the works on the list I don't know well enough yet, so maybe my voting is permature. Barbiere di Siviglia, L'Elsir, and of course Falstaff are all great too, by the way.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts