• Meistersinger von Nuernburg

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Other.....please list.

Votes: 19 24.1%
21 - 40 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
it's classified as a dramma giocoso, which is sort of a gentler comedy, so I think of it a bit differently than some of the others on the list.
I was thinking the same thing. Cenerentola is more like Mozart's comedies, which tend to not be straight up comedies. It's got life lessons (forgiveness, empathy) and not so funny situations (Cenerentola being mistreated by sisters and father) but also hilarious moments.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Amazing that Un Giorno di Regno is on the list. Yes, it is funny, but I would think it is not so well known as to get on this list. I'm curious about whether we are being asked about a comic opera in terms of its being comic or in terms of its being a great opera. Meistersinger and Falstaff are both great operas but not so funny (to me, at least).

Are we supposed to distinguish between "opera" and "operetta"? If not, why isn't Offenbach well represented here?

·
Premium Member
Haydn, Mozart, Vivaldi, Wagner
13,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Amazing that Un Giorno di Regno is on the list. Yes, it is funny, but I would think it is not so well known as to get on this list. I'm curious about whether we are being asked about a comic opera in terms of its being comic or in terms of its being a great opera. Meistersinger and Falstaff are both great operas but not so funny (to me, at least).

Are we supposed to distinguish between "opera" and "operetta"? If not, why isn't Offenbach well represented here?
Un Giorno is on cause its a favorite of mine. :)
I was just keeping these to opera.
You may do an operetta thread if you like.
That would be fun too.

Reactions: sospiro

·
Premium Member
13,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Cosi :)

My opera horizons are remarkably expanded as of late, thanks to all of you in general and Itullian in particular. But it's still hard to top Mozart opera for me!
It's pretty hard to top Wolfie. :)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Un Giorno is on cause its a favorite of mine. :)
I was just keeping these to opera.
You may do an operetta thread if you like.
That would be fun too.
I agree about Un Giorno; I think it is a good thing, but it is amazing to me. Maybe I'm operatically illiterate, but I had never even heard of it until a few months ago. Now it is one of my favorites also. We are so fortunate to live in a time when we can find such almost forgotten masterpieces (at least, that is my experience). Thanks for a poll that really got me thinking.

·
Premium Member
13,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I agree about Un Giorno; I think it is a good thing, but it is amazing to me. Maybe I'm operatically illiterate, but I had never even heard of it until a few months ago. Now it is one of my favorites also. We are so fortunate to live in a time when we can find such almost forgotten masterpieces (at least, that is my experience). Thanks for a poll that really got me thinking.
Welcome to the Un Giorno di Regno fan club :)
I just love this wonderful little opera :)

Reactions: msegers

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wow. What a bizarre list. I can't say I find any of these to be particularly funny (well, maybe one or two). If you want comedy you first need a librettist who actually excelled at that and certainly (in the English language, at least) there was never a funnier or cleverer librettist than W.S. Gilbert, nor was there ever a composer who accentuated the comedic elements of a libretto better than Arthur Sullivan. My own favorite G & S would be one of their first, the one act "Trial by Jury." Then, of course, to be successful a comic opera (like comedy in general) requires performers who excel at comedy, otherwise it just falls flat [which in the case of a fast piece like "Trial by Jury" is probably the case for most recorded versions] To my mind the only really funny recording of "Trial by Jury' was the briskly-paced version recorded way back in 1927, which, despite the early date, nevertheless is exceptionally well recorded and a joy to listen to.

YouTube:

Part 1:

Part 2:

[mislabelled as 1949 version BUT it's actually part 2 of the 1927]

Part 3:

archive.org:

[The sound on the copy posted to archive.org is excellent. What I DON'T like is the unnecessary gaps between each part which in my opinion absolutely ruins the pace of the recording.]

http://https://archive.org/details/GILBERTSULLIVANTrialByJury1927-NEWTRANSFER

Libretto:

http://math.boisestate.edu/gas/trial/tbj_lib.pdf

Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trial_by_Jury

·
Registered
33 Posts
Gianni Schicchi without doubt for me. I confess though I tend to prefer tragedy to comedey but love Schicchi due to the fact its humor is quit morbid. Then again Il Trittico is my desert Island opera(s) and Schicchi is my favourite part of it.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Gianni Schicchi for me, like Weekend at Bernie's but with a great aria.

Beautiful aria but sometimes it is good to not know what they are singing.
Is it necessary to make such regie productions of Gianni Schicchi? It is not like there is an abundance of comic Puccini operas set in the middle age.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Definitely Falstaff for me. The jokes are so well built into the plot and the libretto. I've never seen a production fail to entertain the audience... although I haven't see one in Munich!

If i have a criticism it's that it is so damn clever in every respect that it is hard for the less knowledgeable opera lover to appreciate. (i.e. the speed that the tunes come and go). How ironic that Verdi's very funny comedy should be loved mostly by the connoiseurs.

21 - 40 of 93 Posts