15,739 Posts
Of those listed I know these:

Barber of Seville
La Cenerentola
L'Elisir d'Amore
Don Pasquale
Daughter of the Regiment
Meistersinger von Nuernburg

I voted Barber of Seville as my favorite. But what is missing from the list is a wonderful comic opera, Flotow's Martha.

My least favorite of these is Don Pasquale. Really don't care for it much at all.

Meistersinger is wonderful but too long and drawn out for me to be in the same comic opera category as the others.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Beautiful aria but sometimes it is good to not know what they are singing.
Is it necessary to make such regie productions of Gianni Schicchi? It is not like there is an abundance of comic Puccini operas set in the middle age.
Richard Jones Covent Garden Trittico is both bad in his Il Tabarro moderate in his Gianni Schicchi and the best staging ever in his Suor Angelica. Gianni Schicchi actually doesn't come off to badly from vaguely regie productions the Glyndebourne one is a particular favourite of mine though I confess that I don't think that a production merely updated to a different time is proper "regie" regie I mean it's not like their all bloody rats...

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Richard Jones Covent Garden Trittico is both bad in his Il Tabarro moderate in his Gianni Schicchi and the best staging ever in his Suor Angelica. Gianni Schicchi actually doesn't come off to badly from vaguely regie productions the Glyndebourne one is a particular favourite of mine though I confess that I don't think that a production merely updated to a different time is proper "regie" regie I mean it's not like their all bloody rats...
To make them rats would at least be comical.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
It's a very close call for me, between Meistersinger and Barbiere. In the end I went for Wagner, because of its sheer variety: it has warmth, humanity and pathos in spades, as well as the comedy. It also has originality; the "duel" between Beckmesser and Sachs in Act II, and Beckmesser's mangled rendition of Walther's Preislied in Act III, are works of sheer dramatic/comedic genius. In that regard, let's not forget that Wagner wrote the "book" as well as the music; with (all? most of?) the others, the comedy element was largely down to the librettist - not that this should count against the final collaborative product, of course.

Speaking of collaborative products, I'd liked to have seen The Mikado and/or Pirates of Penzance/Yeomen of the Guard in the list, too. Neither would have displaced Wagner from the top spot, but in my estimation they'd have given Rossini a run for his money :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Speaking of collaborative products, I'd liked to have seen The Mikado and/or Pirates of Penzance/Yeomen of the Guard in the list, too. Neither would have displaced Wagner from the top spot, but in my estimation they'd have given Rossini a run for his money :)
They're not totally dissimilar.

But I still think the first is far superior. ;)

·
Registered
15,739 Posts
Of those listed I know these:

Barber of Seville
La Cenerentola
L'Elisir d'Amore
Don Pasquale
Daughter of the Regiment
Meistersinger von Nuernburg

I voted Barber of Seville as my favorite. But what is missing from the list is a wonderful comic opera, Flotow's Martha.

My least favorite of these is Don Pasquale. Really don't care for it much at all.

Meistersinger is wonderful but too long and drawn out for me to be in the same comic opera category as the others.
I don't know how it is that I forgot my favorite comic opera: Flotow's Martha!
Especially this wonderful video. There are some cuts, but this video is awesome.
I watched it 8 times in two months.

·
Registered
332 Posts
It has to be "L'Elisir d'amore" for me because without it, I would have missed out on a lot of wonderful music and I wouldn't be here on this Forum. It was the only opera with José Carreras that I could find in my library after I fell in love with his voice and went on the search for a full opera featuring him. It was melody from beginning to end and piqued my interest in a way I doubt any other opera would have done at that stage.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
I'm surprised 'Giorno di regno' is in the list, but no Mozart or Gianni Schichi.

My choice also wasn't there: Il Turco in Italia.

I know! How can I prefer it over L'italiana? Well, the music may not be superior from an academic point of view, however I find that Turco sparkles in a way that Italiana doesn't and I find the comic situations much funnier.

N.

·
Premium Member
11,246 Posts
Probably Gianni Schicchi and Orphée aux enfers.

My favourite light-hearted moment from Die Meistersinger is towards the end of Act II when Sachs's hammering of nails into the shoes he's making for Beckmesser doubles up as the racking up of demerits when judging the latter's singing. Beckmesser makes such a pig's ear of the song that Sachs manages to complete the shoes for him by the time the song's finished - appropriately so as Beckmesser was complaining to Sachs earlier on in the opera about how long it was taking for the shoes to be made.

Reactions: Reichstag aus LICHT
41 - 60 of 93 Posts