• Meistersinger von Nuernburg

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Other.....please list.

Votes: 19 24.1%
61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Since I listened to it just yesterday Rossini's L'Italiana in Algeri. Incidentally, it was a recording of a live broadcast from the MET conducted by James Levine from 2004 who always includes two non-standard variants of the score in the second act. They are the longer tenor aria "Concedi amor pietoso" which was added later and the original version of "Per lui che adoro" in its cello version which adds a certain amount of sensuousness to the aria. To my knowledge no audio commercial recording includes both of these variants, though they were included in the appendix of the LP release of the Scimone recording with Horne, but not on CD and the tenor aria is used in a release from the Rossini Opera Festivsl. The DVD from the MET under Levine with Horne does include both as does Levine's 2016 performances at the MET.

In any event, the inclusion of these two pieces puts it way over the top for me even though the standard score would still win out over both Cenerentola and Barbiere even though it would be a much closer call!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Among my favorite comic Operas there are:

Giorgio Federico Ghedini : La pulce d'oro
Luigi Ferrari-Trecate : Le astuzie di Bertoldo
Ermanno Wolf-Ferrari : I quatro rusteghi
Gian Francesco Malipiero : La bottega del caffè and Sior Todero Brontolon (from the trypthic Tre commedie goldoniane)

Finally, while I don't have high estimate for Giancarlo Menotti's works, I do think that his The old maiden and the thief is a hidden gem that possess the same comic verve of something like La serva padrona.

·
Registered
15,738 Posts
My top five comic operas today are (in no particular order):

Flotow: Martha (or Der Markt zu Richmond)
Donizetti: L'elisir d'amore
Donizetti: La fille du Regiment
Donizetti: Don Pasquale
Smetana: Bartered Bride

Reactions: BBSVK

·
Premium Member
Liszt, Bruckner, Chopin, Wallace, Bortkiewicz.
2,776 Posts
Der Rosenkavalier
Ariadne auf Naxos (despite it isn't pure comic opera)
La perichole (Offenbach)

·
Premium Member
Haydn, Mozart, Vivaldi, Wagner
13,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Meistersinger
Zauberflote
Seville
L"Italiana
Cenerentola
Nozze
Cosi
L'Elisir
Don Pasquale
Giorno di Regno

·
Premium Member
11,238 Posts
Not a sub-genre I love, but I''d vote for Britten's Albert Herring.
Yes, it's a delightful work. I regret not including this among my earlier choices.

·
Premium Member
Liszt, Bruckner, Chopin, Wallace, Bortkiewicz.
2,776 Posts
I'm not sure about the criteria have been used by you for the pole. If these are how much we have laugh from a specific performance, I must take out the Offenbach, because my French are only decent and I can't understand the French humor, or the situations so much to start laughing. (this also, for other languages is ''taking out''' any simple hearing at home. Despite I'm speaking very good Italian, I can't clearly understand what the singers are saying. So it is difficult for me to laugh. I have never laughed with the Girl of the Regiment, since I saw live the opera. This is a reason, that in out Opera Comique, (we perform also normal operas) we use (and I don't like this) German translated libretti! (in England are making lately the same). Also, in the local music market, many operas are sung in German (to sell more copies) The best way to answer such question is to watch the opera in DVD, Blu Ray etc. (with good subtitles)

·
Registered
169 Posts
My favorite comic opera is certainly Falstaff. There is everything that should be: humor, amazing music, delicate irony. What a gift is to finish his way in art with the words "Everything in the world is a joke"!
Die Meistersingern is a masterpiece, it was one of the best evenings in my opera life. But l hardly receive it as a comic opera. Drama where nobody dies is not a comedy. In this case Die Frau ohne Schatten is opera buffa.
By the way, Strauss has written some nice comic operas like Arabella, Intermezzo or Die aegyptische Helena.
I also can't not to mention two Rimski-Kórsakov's oeuvres, The night before Christmas and The tale of Tzar Saltan. Both are genuinely comic and contain wonderful music, especially symphonic parts.

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
By the way, Strauss has written some nice comic operas like Arabella, Intermezzo or Die aegyptische Helena.
Isn't Der Rosenkavlier supposed to be a comedy? However it's the comic bits of the score (most of the Ochs stuff in fact) that I find tedious.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Isn't Der Rosenkavlier supposed to be a comedy? However it's the comic bits of the score (most of the Ochs stuff in fact) that I find tedious.
It's a little too long for a comedy. And with all my love to Strauss Der Rosenkavalier seems to me the least memorable. Maybe the case is that I've never seen it in the theater.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The Bartered Bride by Bedrich Smetana.

From the original selection, it would probably be The barber of Seville.
But I don't know most of the suggested operas, or not properly. I have grown up without internet and with limited availability of the recordings. And later, I have been in the operatic coma for cca 15 years.

·
Banned
Bernd Alois Zimmermann
592 Posts
The answer of course is Meistersingers… Sixtus Beckmesser is the kind of character that Mel Brooks and Woody Allen have been affecting and perfecting over the last 70 years…

Trashy Italian opera does not count...

61 - 80 of 93 Posts