Classical Music Forum banner
41 - 60 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
My favorite piano music comes from Jean Sibelius, a composer not always thought of when the piano is discussed.

Sibelius himself was not a huge devotee of the keyboard. But over the course of his career, he did compose a sizeable amount of music for the instrument, sometimes for pure artistic purposes, sometimes to pay some bills. Many will often write off his piano works as being devoid of any character or worth, but it is usually the case, I think, that the people who say that have not heard enough of his piano music.

The appeal to me in his piano works is the sombre quality, one might even say the darkness. There is a unique insistance on the left hand, in other words, the lower, "darker" keys which seems to really get to me.

Those wanting to sample some of his best piano works should hear the Kyllikki Suite or "The Trees."

·
Registered
2 Posts
I love the pieces from Mozart's Piano concertos, his piano sonatas and his trios. I am massive Mozart fan :D.

My favourite pieces from Mozart has to be Piano Concerto No 27, 22,23, 21,20, 19. Piano Sonata No 16 K545.

Beethoven - Moonlight Sonata, Piano Concerto no 1.
Brian Crain - All of his works
John Schimdt - Sacred Ground
Chopin's Etudes
Debussy's - Claire De lune
Many more....

·
Registered
153 Posts
Well, at the moment, I'm obsessed with La Campanella. XD

Ok, though, here we go.

CHOPIN (any and everything of his for the piano. He's my all time favorite... I think. It changes...)
Debussy( Of course, how can you not have him in the list? Especially Clair de Lune and Arabesque no. 1)

Many more... basically, 80% of what I listen to is piano, so I could go on for hours about what I like. XD

Reactions: Klassik

·
Registered
153 Posts
LOL. I'm going to assume you mean, "Painful to play." XD

Reactions: Klassik

·
Registered
10,200 Posts
My favourite long piano piece is Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition. He seems to stretch the instrument to the limit, much like Beethoven did in his late sonatas. I feel that the Mussorgsky is more immediately accessible, though.

Someone above has mentioned the less travelled piano works by Sibelius. To this, I would like to add Janacek's superb piano output, which includes his Sonata "From the Street, 1 October 1905" & also On the Overgrown Path.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
My favourite long piano piece is Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition. He seems to stretch the instrument to the limit, much like Beethoven did in his late sonatas. I feel that the Mussorgsky is more immediately accessible, though.

Someone above has mentioned the less travelled piano works by Sibelius. To this, I would like to add Janacek's superb piano output, which includes his Sonata "From the Street, 1 October 1905" & also On the Overgrown Path.
I was the one who mentioned Sibelius... :)

Ah, Pictures. I agree. Mussorgsky takes advantage of all the instrument has to offer. Never before had the piano sounded so "orchestral." Perhaps Beethoven also was capable of an orchestral sound, too.

·
Banned
4,481 Posts
Piano concertos in general. This is, for me, essention of classical music. I started with piano concertos, and they're still most important part of my collection. My favourite are those by Brahms (No. 1 especially) and Beethoven (No. 4 especially).

I love almost everything by Chopin (Heroic polonaise is one of my drugs), Schumann and Mozart. I also liked Liszt and Schubert stuff, but I still don't know them as good as I should, so I can't say which works are my favorite. So far, I loved Schubert's piano trios.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I love almost everything by Chopin (Heroic polonaise is one of my drugs), Schumann and Mozart. I also liked Liszt and Schubert stuff, but I still don't know them as good as I should, so I can't say which works are my favorite. So far, I loved Schubert's piano trios.
I like that you mention Chopin pieces as a drug. I feel the same way. Hypnotic and mesmerizing. Scriabin and Rachmaninov included as well.

Jim

·
Registered
10 Posts
I very much like Saint-Saen's piano concertos. They're beautiful, with so much colour. In terms of strictly piano solo, I've explored mostly Chopin and Liszt, and love them both. I've recently been finding out about Alkan, which I find very interesting.
Bach's WTC books and Mozart and Beethoven sonatas are also extremely enjoyable, but I'd say you really need to look deeper to get a feeling of their music, as opposed to just listening and thinking "oh that was nice".
So many to choose from, really!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I'm into so many things, but here are some of the favourites:

Bach's WTC (especially no.13 in F sharp major)
Ravel's Gaspard de la Nuit
Beethoven's 17th sonata (the tempest)
Chopin's Waltzes and Ballades
Bartok's microcosmos

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I support with pleasure both Tapkaara's and Andre's posts about Sibelius and Janacek. How many lovely masterpieces have been forgotten and out of recitals' repertory for so long time even by famous pianists, because they just don't give any chance to show a super virtouse-technique !

P.S. I can't simply name my favorite piano music ... Well, Maybe Schumann's Kresleriana ... But the list is really unlimited !

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Just off hand, some of my favorite pieces include: Beethoven's 32 Variations in C minor along with most of his sonatas and, of course, the five concerti...many of Mozart's pieces although what comes to mind now is his concerto for two pianos and the kv466. Also, the Etudes from Chopin, opus 10 performed by the late master Earl Wild. Earl also is master to some of the best known concerti from Chopin's to Tchaikovski and Rachmaninov and the Grieg. Wow, if I don't stop now I think this answer can go on forever! Cheers

41 - 60 of 96 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.