Classical Music Forum banner
81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Scriabin is my personal hero in piano music. I connect with some of his music so much that it seems to be made specifically for me as silly as that sounds. I was sold the moment I heard his Etude Op, 2 No. 1 played by Horowitz, which he composed when he was 15(!). I listen mostly to his early and mid years, but also like music from his late period.
Then Chopin, Liszt, Rachmaninoff, Schumann and others.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
As I've explained before, I tend to hear music in two different ways - aurally and emotionally. Piano music I can appreciate aurally includes most of what I've heard of Chopin, Lizst, Mozart, Rachmaninov, Rubenstein, etc.

Piano music I can appreciate emotionally includes most of what I've heard of Schumann, Brahms and Beethoven - with Schumann being far and away the leader.

The difference is that my mind wanders easily when I'm listening to the first group - I can think of a lot of other things as the music becomes more and more background music to me. The second group holds my attention. With Schumann, in particular, my mind is totally engaged.

I don't say any of this with pretensions of greater understanding of music than anyone else has. This is just a personal reaction. You can't argue it, because the impressions are personal and honest. People with more experience can explain why they think Chopin and Lizst are so great and I won't argue with it. That still doesn't change the fact that most of what I hear from them seems like "note-spinning" and I usually tune out.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
As I've explained before, I tend to hear music in two different ways - aurally and emotionally. Piano music I can appreciate aurally includes most of what I've heard of Chopin, Lizst, Mozart, Rachmaninov, Rubenstein, etc.

Piano music I can appreciate emotionally includes most of what I've heard of Schumann, Brahms and Beethoven - with Schumann being far and away the leader.

The difference is that my mind wanders easily when I'm listening to the first group - I can think of a lot of other things as the music becomes more and more background music to me. The second group holds my attention. With Schumann, in particular, my mind is totally engaged.

I don't say any of this with pretensions of greater understanding of music than anyone else has. This is just a personal reaction. You can't argue it, because the impressions are personal and honest. People with more experience can explain why they think Chopin and Lizst are so great and I won't argue with it. That still doesn't change the fact that most of what I hear from them seems like "note-spinning" and I usually tune out.
Are you sure you have listened to a lot of piano music from the composers in the first group?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Chopin piano music

I love Chopin - I think that the beauty and depth he weaves into relatively short pieces makes them truly inspiring. I'm trying to encourage more people to start listening to Chopin's piano music and have written an article with some suggested repertoire. Would love to know whether people agree with the pieces I've suggested...

http://www.learnhowtoreadsheetmusic.com/chopin-piano-music/

Thanks,

Ben

·
Registered
63 Posts
Chopin and Ben D

I agree with you about Chopin - a wonderful composer who in his writings for one instrument created a whole world of original feeling, formal variety and harmonic riches. The greatest composer for the solo piano of all, I believe, though he has to yield to others such as Mozart, Beethoven, Brahms etc (Bach too) in the concerto.

Your choice of repertoire seems to have most things in it! Glad you have Ashkenazy who I think is fabulous. The Mazurkas are pretty irresistible too, especially perhaps for those who don't know Chopin well - I must say I much prefer them to the polonaises.

Liked your 'Solace' - a nice piece of what I think of as soundtrack music (though it does repeat the motif too often for me). Who influenced you in this piece?

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I like the really dark pieces from the baroque era, and a few pieces from the classical era. But i like romantic and 20th century music the most.

Schubert, grieg, mendelssohn, rachmaninov, debussy, ravel, chopin, bartok etc etc.

must mention that grieg is always super fun to play!

·
Registered
553 Posts
I like the really dark pieces from the baroque era, and a few pieces from the classical era. But i like romantic and 20th century music the most.

Schubert, grieg, mendelssohn, rachmaninov, debussy, ravel, chopin, bartok etc etc.

must mention that grieg is always super fun to play!
Those Grieg Lyric Pieces are wonderful! My favorite Schubert Sonata is D. 845 in A minor.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Are there any restrictions in terms of number of composers or pieces? For solo piano music I like Alkan, Bach, Beethoven, Brahms, Chopin, Finnissy, Scriabin and Sorabji the most. I'm too lazy to put a list of pieces together.

81 - 96 of 96 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.