Classical Music Forum banner

When did Classical music peak?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
It hasn't peaked.

Today, thanks to recording technology more people are probably listening to Beethoven's 5th at home, than could possibly listen to it in a concert hall.

Radio/recording/CD has made classical music more accessible - and a lot of the artists from across the centuries are still with is.

I'm sitting feet from a shelf with more classical music on it, than someone had 100 years ago - with different versions, interpretations and orchestras.

·
Registered
137 Posts
But a smaller percentage of the public actual listen to any Classical Music than 25 or 50 years ago even though the opportunities to do so with streaming today are almost limitless.
50 years ago programmes about Classical Music appeared on major TV channels. Classical Music was used on lots of TV advertisements. Film music was usually in a Classical Style. Stravinsky was a household name amongst the middle classes in the 1960s: up there with Picasso. Nowadays the average member of the middle class would struggle to name any twentieth century composers let alone a living one.
Totally disagree.

35% of the (adult) population listens to classical music.

The proms get more coverage on the BBC Tv & radio than before. I was able to watch La Boheme over breakfast whilst watching Sky Arts.

I've just returned from the cinema having watched Lucia da Lammamore being broadcast an ocean away from the Met.

My pal in Dundee tells me the cinema where he works is packed out for every opera they show. There is no opera house nearby, so folks are arranging coach trips to see the operas at the cinema. The cinema broadcasts have made opeara more accessible than ever before.

Films still have classical scores - James Bond, The Green Knight, the recent clutch of Star Wars, the new Harry Potter series and Jurassic Park have classical scores. The "synth scores" of the 80's and 90's seem to have largely fallen away.

Maybe it depends upon what part of the world you are in, but classical music is in rude health in the UK.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts