Registered
32,479 Posts

For this time of the year
Weihnachtskonzert: DIE GEBURT CHRISTI - ORATORIUM VON HEINRICH VON HERZOGENBERG

Reactions: mr bob

·
Registered
11 Posts
There are lots of great sacred works from chant to nearly operatic orchestrations by many great composers. One of my favorites, at least as far as composers go, is Luigi Cherubini. I find his Masses to be highly enjoyable. I have a set on EMI conducted by Richard Muti and Neville Marriner bought off of Amazon. A 7-disc set for less than $30 that has gotten quite a bit of play at home, at work, and in the car.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Where to start in sacred music?
First thought: This depends from your preferences with classical music.

If you're into baroque music, Messiah or Christmas Oratorio could be obvious recommendations. But Monteverdi's Vespers and Biber's Missa Salisburgensis (= the obvious predecessor of Mahler 8 :) ) could be worth a try.

If Beethoven is your favorite, the Missa Solemnis. (The Mass in C major isn't too bad.)

Etc. ... Mendelssohn -> St. Paul, Elijah. But "Lobgesang"/"Hymn of Praise" could do the job.

Bruckner -> Te Deum and Psalm 150. Maybe Mass No. 3 F minor.

Brahms -> Deutsches Requiem

French Repertoire: Faure, Requiem; Duruflé, Requiem (charming!); Poulenc: Gloria

Bach cantatas are varied in styles and individual pieces in numbers, so probably no one can be sure which to recommend. Me too, I would always recommend large scale pieces like masses or Te Deum of Marc Charpentier.
Oh, that's no so difficult. Just listen to all cantatas several times, and you have a good overview. :)

Early: BWV 131, BWV 106 ("Actus tragicus")
Weimar: BWV 61, BWV 21, BWV 63
Leipzig I: BWV 22/23, BWV 69a, BWV 95, BWV 65
Leipzig II: BWV 2, BWV 93, BWV 180, BWV 127
Leipzig III: BWV 56, BWV 98, BWV 79
Later, including "Ratswahl": BWV 80, BWV 51, BWV 29, BWV 82, BWV 140

·
Registered
15 Posts
What about this?
I think yes, thanks. Despite I don't usually like funeral theme. But, on the first listen, the composition is beautiful. Will listen again. I'm open to further suggestions (for pure choir), if length is not longer than 8-10 minutes :) The problem for me is that some pieces are quite long, often with about 3 large parts, like "La Messe de Nostre Dame" which is 28 min. long.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts