Classical Music Forum banner

Which is your favorite recording of Wagner's Ring on CD?

• Solti

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • Karajan

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Bohm

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Krauss

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Knappertsbusch '56

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keilberth '55

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Furtwangler RAI

• Furtwangler Scala

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Barenboim

• Boulez

• Haitink

• Levine

• Keilberth '52

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keilberth '53

• Other, right in

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
Haydn, Mozart, Vivaldi, Wagner
13,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The critics always pick Solti.
What say you?
Agree? Disagree?
Take into account performance AND sound please.
The whole package.
:tiphat:

·
Registered
16,164 Posts
Karajan is the one I go to. So beautifully conducted and played with the BPO absolutely at its peak. True the singers are not always the strongest but HvK seems to make it work. The recording is superb.
By the side of this Solti's is somewhat crude and Bohm's relentless. I also don't like recordings made at Bayreuth, despite the raves the acoustic gets from the press.
One you have missed out is Janowski's first attempt which is very well sung, played and recorded, missing only an ounce of theatricality. It is rumoured the conductor was originally going to be C Kleiber - now that would have been something!

·
Premium Member
Haydn, Mozart, Vivaldi, Wagner
13,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Karajan is the one I go to. So beautifully conducted and played with the BPO absolutely at its peak. True the singers are not always the strongest but HvK seems to make it work. The recording is superb.
By the side of this Solti's is somewhat crude and Bohm's relentless. I also don't like recordings made at Bayreuth, despite the raves the acoustic gets from the press.
One you have missed out is Janowski's first attempt which is very well sung, played and recorded, missing only an ounce of theatricality. It is rumoured the conductor was originally going to be C Kleiber - now that would have been something!
So click Karajan then :)

Reactions: Sonata

·
Banned
9,315 Posts
For finesse and beauty- Karajan.

For high drama?- Keilberth.

For the singers?- Solti.

-- So how could I chose one?- that wouldn't be generous. Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I think it depends on how to weight the recordings.
If you prefer a studio recording...easy. Solti.
If it's all about the ensemble...Keilberth '55
Conducting/orchestra...Bohm
Audio that exploits the advantages of a digital world....Barenboim.

I lean towards Solti for the phonics.

·
Registered
247 Posts
The Solti Ring makes for a thrilling listening experience, and is by all counts an astounding achievement. Not only the singers, but the bold theatricality of the project; John Culshaw's vision of a dynamic, aurally dramatic experience and his desire to bring sounds and scenes to life like never before -- the call of the vassals in Götterdämmerung using the steerhorn always sends chills up my spine. That said, my number one choice is Keilberth '55 for the extraordinarily vivid sound, the atmosphere and presence that instantly compels attention, and a fresh and commanding cast.

So Keilberth '55 my first choice, Solti a close runner-up, and others like Janowski, Karajan and Barenboim definitely worth hearing as well.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I voted for Haitink's version, which has my favorite Siegfried (Jerusalem) and preferred Wotan (James Morris), plus Reiner Goldberg and Cheryl Studer as the Wälsung twins, both of whom I really enjoy listening to. I also like Eva Marton's Brünnhilde reasonably well. But then there's the Barenboim, with Jerusalem and the wonderful Dame Anne Evans as Brünnhilde . . .

·
Banned
9,315 Posts
It used to be the Keilberth '55 for me, but now with my new, remastered Krauss...
I'll have to check it out. . . I mean if the '55 Keilberth/Bayreuth was your standard. . . and that was exceeded by the Krauss?. . . and I love the Keilberth too-- then I have to get to know the Krauss. Definately.

·
Registered
678 Posts
The Krauss is an astounding performance but I do feel that The Ring needs sonics that weren't available back in the early 50s.
This is true. One has to imagine how it really sounded. It requires an effort of the will, empathy with the past and imagination. Like trying to remember the light of a candle when the candle is out, like that strange photographer/math teacher wrote. But the Pristine remastering helps. A lot.

Reactions: Itullian

·
Registered
262 Posts
I know we're supposed to include consideration of sound, but to me the overall cast quality and the interpretive, theatrical vision of the conductor make me pick the Krauss above all of them, with the Keilberth and Furtwängler RAI as my preferred backups. I can live with the sound in the Krauss, though for me the bigger nit to pick with that is not so much the fidelity (which is not bad for early 1950s) as the voice/orchestra balance.

It's also not a perfect (as in studio) performance by any means--but the fact that this is apparently done in one go (none of the references talk of any sort of rehearsal patchings in the recording that's survived) is all the more remarkable to me.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
This is true. One has to imagine how it really sounded. It requires an effort of the will, empathy with the past and imagination. Like trying to remember the light of a candle when the candle is out, like that strange photographer/math teacher wrote. But the Pristine remastering helps. A lot.
The opera d oro and even newest Orfeo remasters of Krauss Ring pale in comparison to the sonic miracle of Pristine XR remaster with ambient stereo, expensive but there is nothing even close to it in sound quality......

I usually buy the discs in slipcase and use my own jewelcases and print the artwork from website, result big savings of about 25%, complete Krauss Ring ambient stereo 117 euros......about the same price currently as Keilberth 1955 on Testament label

·
Registered
16,164 Posts
The opera d oro and even newest Orfeo remasters of Krauss Ring pale in comparison to the sonic miracle of Pristine XR remaster with ambient stereo, expensive but there is nothing even close to it in sound quality......

I usually buy the discs in slipcase and use my own jewelcases and print the artwork from website, result big savings of about 25%, complete Krauss Ring ambient stereo 117 euros......about the same price currently as Keilberth 1955 on Testament label
I must say it goes against the grain with me to buy such an elderly recording at full price especially as it is out of copyright now. We know the costs of remastering, etc, but this sort of price seems excessive. But no doubts about the performance. The best cast probably ever assembled post-war with a conductor who didn't dawdle. However, I must confess that even Krauss can't get me to love this music. Karajan and the BPO just about succeed (with some of it anyway) in spite of the weaker casting of some roles.

·
Registered
678 Posts

I also do the jewel case bit. No frills necessary.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Fundamentally this is virtually impossible to answer. Solti for aggressive drama, Karajan for beauty of sound, Furtwangler for the soul of the complete cycle and Barenboim for great modern sound. However I wouldn't be without Kraus 1953 or the Janowski first recording or the Furtwangler La Scala either. The ideal Ring probably only exists in each of our minds and would probably involve major cast changes act by act, never mind opera by opera!!

Peace to all:cool:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Can I add that even the most cack-handed opera production of the Ring cannot detract from the beauty of the music anyway so matter how wrong-headed the producer gets, the music always transcends it.

Peace to all:cool:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts