Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
16,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which is your single favorite Schoenberg String Quartet cycle?

Mine is the LaSalle, recorded in 1971.

Compared to the New Vienna, it is a much warmer, more emotive sound.

Reactions: Heliogabo

·
Banned
16,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm with Mahlerian with respect to the LaSalle set. It rather reminds me of the Clerks, from the sphere of vocal ensembles. The LaSalle are my favorite group for the last two quartets.
The Diotima are touted as the 'new Kronos.'

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Diotima set is brilliant. I think the LaSalle Quartet is rushed and a little fuzzy in articulation compared to others out there. The Arditti is good but very objectified. They sound dry and steely.

The Kolisch/Pro Arte Quartet recordings, despite audio limitations, should be heard for their deep expressiveness. According to Kolisch, his quartet performed from memory.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
I've yet to actually hear those yet (I'm a busy composer with a lot of composers to listen to!) but I have fallen in love with the String Trio

·
Registered
15,541 Posts
But I might choose the very recent Quatuor Diotima set as my favorite. Emotive and sensuous, as well as extremely accurate.

I'm going to give them a listen on YouTube. I don't really need more Berg and Webern, but it looks like a nice box set!

Reactions: Manxfeeder

·
Registered
281 Posts
I listened to the New Vienna set so many times. I enjoyed every moment but, as expected with Schoenberg, I needed weeks to understand his music, especially when I got to his 3rd and 4th quartets.

Then I got the Lasalle and their 3rd and 4th renditions were so refreshing, especially the beautiful slow movement of the 3rd.

Lasalle have become my favourites for now.

I need to give the Quatuor Diotima a listen.

Can't get enough of Schoenberg!

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Any thoughts on the Leipziger Quartet? I have 2 and 4, and I'm happy with it, but I don't listen to the quartets as much as I should to give a definitive opinion.
The Leipziger Quartett is my favourite so far. There are LaSalle, Arditti and the aron quartet on the shelf, but I mostly take the Leipzig ones. (However, I have serious concerns with this ensemble for political reasons, but this is beyond this excellent forum's topics. I just want to express that I do not support the non-musical activities of the cello player.)

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I already own all of them on separate recordings, by several ensembles.

Is there an advantage in having them all by one quartet? The same 'voice' interpreting them all, maybe?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts