Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

Registered
For me the Grieg Sonata. My favorite recording of the Grieg is by Glenn Gould which is interesting as Gould wasn't known for being a champion of those very pretty and decorative High Romantic composers and Gould recorded very little Chopin, Mendelssohn, or Schumann; and yet Gould's Grieg recording is very fine.

Registered
Brahms, Schumann
For me the Grieg Sonata. My favorite recording of the Grieg is by Glenn Gould which is interesting as Gould wasn't known for being a champion of those very pretty and decorative High Romantic composers and Gould recorded very little Chopin, Mendelssohn, or Schumann; and yet Gould's Grieg recording is very fine.
GG`s maternal grandfather was a cousin of Grieg so maybe that`s why.

Registered
Major key sonatas for me, for I have some problems with Sturm und Drang!

I would go with these, equally beautiful:

Beethoven: Piano Sonata no. 15 in D Major, Op. 28
Beethoven: Piano Sonata no. 28 in A Major, Op. 101
Beethoven: Piano Sonata no. 30 in E Major, Op. 109
Schubert: Piano Sonata in A Major, D. 959
Schubert: Piano Sonata in Bb Major, D. 960

If you do not care for those sonatas, then you might not like piano music at all. ;)

I have the Beethoven scores at my piano and play them for myself every once in a while. Along with exploring the rather tricky Liszt Sonata and Brahms F-Minor Sonata (which I am not really practicing, but exploring).

Registered
Cool thread! I'd go with LvB Moonlight.

BUT ... does this count? (it was featured on every episode's end credits of The Incredible Hulk (1977-1982, CBS tv series ):

Super Moderator
A genre that I am not crazy about (in general, I care less for solo piano than most TC members). I'd probably go for Beethoven's Piano Sonata No. 8 in C minor "Path茅tique".

Registered
Sibelius, Beethoven, Satie, Debussy
A genre that I am not crazy about (in general, I care less for solo piano than most TC members). I'd probably go for Beethoven's Piano Sonata No. 8 in C minor "Path茅tique".
I'm not keen either. Having sampled some of the recommendations so far (those that I didn't already know by LvB) I'm inclined to recommend Berg's no. 1.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts