Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Edwin Fischer: last 4 Schubert sonatas, remaining Beethoven sonatas

Emil Gilels: Beethoven op.111, Diabelli Variations, Brahms: Handel variations, op.117, 118, 119

Sviatoslav Richter: Beethoven 4th +5th piano concertos, Brahms 1st piano concerto, 3rd sonata, Handel variations, Chopin's 3rd sonata etc. Schumann Davidsbündlertänze... Bach partitas (he had lots of odd gaps, pieces he either didn't care for or found another pianist so extraordinarily good that he wouldn't perform it himself)

Glenn Gould: A bunch of Handel suites on piano (he did 1-4 on a bad sounding harpsichord), a bunch of CPE Bach sonatas (he did one), a few more Haydn sonatas, Bach Art of Fugue complete on piano, Beethoven: op.101, Diabellis, Reger: Telemann and Bach variations, Hindemith Ludus tonalis

Martha Argerich: any or all Beethoven sonatas, variations, last ~4 Haydn sonatas. Lots and lots of stuff she didn't play but her Haydn D major concerto and Beethoven etc accompaniments for Kremer are very good, that's why I picked those. Chopin: cplt Etudes and Ballades (She is alive at 80-81? and still performs but almost no solo pieces, certainly no new ones.)

Ferenc Fricsay: Brahms 3+4, Beethoven 2,4,6, Schumann 2-4, Schubert 9, Dvorak 7+8, Weber: Freischütz. Stravinsky: Firebird, Symphony in C, Symphony in 3 movements...

Carlos Kleiber: Schubert 9th symphony, Beethoven 3rd, 8th and 9th, Brahms 1+3, Mozart 38-41

·
Premium Member
11,595 Posts
Evgeny Mravinsky - Shostakovich's 4th symphony, if only to compare it to other Soviet-era accounts by Kondrashin and Rozhdestvensky.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I wish Arthur Rubinstein had recorded Szymanowski's Second Piano Sonata. He praised it highly in his autobiography, and his recording of a few of Szymanowski's mazurkas simply blows away the competition. But he never recorded the second sonata. A great shame.

As for artists still alive, I hope Fabio Martino records Brahms's 2nd and 3rd piano sonatas. He did such a fantastic job on the 1st, all other pianists make it sound like it was composed by an amateur.

And I'd love to hear Hélène Grimaud record more of Beethoven's piano sonatas. Her recording of Beethoven's 17th sonata is truly one of the best.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
There is a story about Sir John Barbirolli and Andre Previn flying to Houston when the plane went through some very scary turbulence ... Barbirolli: "I can't die yet, I haven't conducted all the Bruckner symphonies!"
Personally I would settle for any of the Bruckner symphonies which he conducted but where we don't have recordings. I could also do with him having lived at least another year so that he could have made the scheduled Mahler 7th recording in Berlin.

·
Registered
Brahms, Schumann
17,611 Posts
  • Emil Gilels: Schumann`s Kreisleriana and Fantasie, Schubert`s late Piano Sonatas D.845&959 in particular. Maybe some more Medtner Sonatas. Also the things Kreisler jr. said above.
  • Julius Katchen: Brahms` Piano Quartets, Piano Quintet, Cello Sonata no. 1, Clarinet Sonatas, Clarinet Trio and Horn Trio, Schumann`s Kreisleriana and Davidsbündlertänze.
  • Wilhelm Kempff: Nocturnes and Barcarolles by Fauré and maybe some less performed Chopin Nocturnes and Mazurkas in the same vein as opp. 9/3 and 7/3.
  • Otto Klemperer: Bach`s SJP, Mahler`s Symphonies nos. 5,6 and 8, Dvořák`s 7th.
  • Radu Lupu: Brahms` Handel Variations, 4 Ballades and op. 76, Schumann`s Piano Sonatas nos. 1 and 3, Schubert`s "Reliquie" Sonata and D. 946, Beethoven`s Piano Sonatas nos. 7, 26-30 in particular but I wouldn`t have minded the rest as well.
  • David Oistrakh: Szymanowski`s Violin Concerto no. 2.
  • Henryk Szeryng: Szymanowski`s Violin Concerto no. 1, Prokofiev`s Violin Concerto no. 1, Bartók`s Violin Concerto no. 1, Shostakovich`s Violin Concerti and Sonata.

·
Premium Member
11,595 Posts
But they did record this! The DG cycle from around 1970 is complete for the completed symphonies.
The original post confused me somewhat as well...
Primate Jaw Terrestrial animal Snout Fur

Reactions: EvaBaron

·
Premium Member
11,595 Posts
Like Manuel, I learn every day! Your'e absolutely right, of course - he did record them all - I didn't make it clear that I was referring to the live recordings on the BRSO's own Audite label.
As do I - I didn't know that the Audite series had omitted the 4th.
Hair Head Hand Primate Eye

Reactions: EvaBaron

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Karajan : I wish he had recorded : Bruckner 9 with Caragan completion of the finale . Tchaikovsky Manfred symphony . Wagner's Tannhauser ( there is a live Vienna recording but I wish he had done a studio version . ) Richard Strauss : Elektra . Sibelius 3rd symphony . Dvorak : symphony no 6 . Nielsen : The other five symphonies besides the 4th . Verdi " La Forza Del Destino . Puccini : La Fanciulla Del West . Richard Strauss : Die Frau ohne Schatten ( uncut studio unlike the highly cut live Vienna one . Dvorak : Rusalka .

Solti : Schonberg : Gurrelieder . Richard Strauss : Daphne . Capriccio . Berlioz: Les Troyens . Verdi : La Forza Del Destino . Il Trovatore . Mahler : 10th symphony ( Cooke completion ) . Berg : Wozzeck. Lulu . Puccini : Turandot . Walton : Symphonies 1,2 . Elgar : The Dream of Gerontius .

Carlos Kleiber : All nine Beethoven symphonies . Brahms : All four symphonies . Schubert : 9th symphony . Berg : Wozzeck : (. He abandoned a DG studio recording midway ) . Richard Strauss : Salome . Elektra. Der Rosenkavalier . Wagner : Die Meistersinger . The Ring . Parsifal . Verdi : Otello in studio form . Falstaff . Il Trovatore . Puccini : Tosca. Turandot . Richard Strauss : Don Juan. Till Eulenspiegel . Death & Transfiguration . Also Sprach Zarathustra . Don Quixote . Ein Heldenleben. Alpine Symphony. Symphonia Domestica . Beethoven : Fidelio .

Kar Boehm : Der Freischutz . Tannhauser . Lohengrin . Die Meistersinger ( Studio ) . Richard Strauss : Die Liebe Der Danae. Intermezzo . Die Schweigsame Frau ( uncut studio recording ) . Feuersnot . Bruckner : symphonies 1,2 ,6 . Te Deum . Mahler : Any of his symphonies . Das Lied von der Erde Verdi : Otello . Macbeth . Richard Strauss : Symphonia Domestica . Macbeth . Aus Italien .

Rudolf Kempe : Wagner : Ring ( studio ). Tristan & Isolde . Tannhauser . Richard Strauss : Salome. Elektra. Der Rosenkavalier . Die Frau Ohne Schatten . Complete Josephslegende ballet and. ballet "Schlagobers ". Humperdinck : Hansel & Gretel .

Abbado : Bruckner : Symphonies 1,2,3, 6 and 8 . Te Deum . Verdi : Otello. La Forza Del Destino . Il Trovatore . Prokofiev : all 7 symphonies . Stoneflower ballet . Wagner : Tristan & Isolde. Die Meistersinger . Rossini : Guillaume Tell . Respighi : Pines of Rome. Fountains of Rome. . Roman Festivals . Tchaikovsky : Manfred Symphony .

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
It can also be a living artist that hasn’t recorded the piece yet. I will give you a few of mine. I wish:
Mravinsky recorded Tchaikovsky’s first 3 symphonies
Yes, that would have been good, for sure!!

For me - ottomh:

Reiner/CSO - Le Sacre du Printemps - would have been cosmic....this was on the schedule for concert performance and recording, but iirc, Reiner became ill, and it was set aside,,,never made it back on the docket.
Also - I wish there was a recording available of Reiner/CSO performing Beethoven Lenore #3...he did #2, but #3 is the "big enchilada"

I wish that Solti would have recorded more Prokofiev - Syms 3, 5, 6, 2....that could have been superb...

·
Registered
417 Posts
I'd hope to listen to Fritz Kreisler playing Sibelius Violin Concerto and Jascha Heifetz (aka @EvaBaron in this thread) playing the first three and the especially the seventh Mozart Violin Concertos plus concertone for two violins. I'd love to see Oistrakh playing Bach Chaconne and more Mozart encores such as K.250 Haffner Serenade. As of symphonies, I'd rather have Harnoncourt conducting the Bruckner cycle (he recorded only 3,5 and 7 if I remembered clearly) and Sibelius cycle.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
That Bruno Walter had recorded Mahler symphonies 3, 6, 7, 8 and 10 (Adagio).

Karajan should have recorded Franz Schmidt's four symphonies.

I'm still waiting for a definitive Gliere Ilya Murometz. I wish Antal Dorati had taken it up; complete, uncut and unaltered.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts