Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Premium Member
14,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In parallel with 'another silly poll', detailing some luscious ladies to choose if you're marooned on a desert island, I'd like to post a thread asking which *men* you'd choose, whether you're a woman who wants companionship of the opposite sex, or a man who thinks it would be good to have some manly chums around.

Instead of me providing names in a poll, I ask you to name one choice from each of three categories.

Category A: male stars of yesteryear. (Yesteryear ended in 1980, btw.)

Category B: male celebrities of today

Category C: male musicians or composers

When choosing from category A, please nominate the age you'd like your man to be.

And please explain why you've made those choices.

Thanks in advance for any replies! :cheers:

· Registered
455 Posts
A: Paul Newman (35-ish) - If any actor could find a way to get us rescued, it would be him.

B: Aamir Khan - He could reduce my anxiety and reassure me that "Aal Izz Well".

C: Paul Landers and his guitar: He could raise my adrenalin so that I can help build whatever it is we need. (I'm sure some people would like him to be stranded on an island for a different reason.)

*No! They are still single!* *la la la la la*

· Premium Member
14,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I would choose:
A: James Stewart. He only plays himself, but he is kind & sensible and I enjoy looking at his face. He should be aged about forty, though, as before that age he looked painfully young!

B: Keanu Reeves, also about 40, or rather 39, the age he was when playing the young doctor in 'Something's Gotta Give'. Just gorgeous!

C: Andrew Manze and his baroque violin. Would make the island sound like Paradise.

· Senior Moderator
12,443 Posts
A) Has to be David Niven - his two books of autobiography - The Moons A Balloon and Bring on the Empty Horses - show hime to be a superb raconteur. Age doesn't matter but about 55 would give him most of the experiences that I remember.

B) Most celebrities tend to be actors of sports stars neither of which really appeal. So I'm going to cheat and put in Ton Koopman with his organ and harpsichord. He could either play solo or continuo for:

C) Jordi Savall plus a selection of instruments. Not just a superb player but a musicographer as well.

· Registered
9,510 Posts
Category A: You gotta be kidding; Stars of yesteryear? Well, maybe Errol Flynn, just because he was casually reckless. Might liven up the damned island, and when he crashed & burned I'd know not to try that one.

Category B: A modern Celebrity, eh? I'll go with Pope Francis. Very interesting guy, with stories to tell.

Category C: Jordi Savall and his gamba. No explanation required.

And those guys would be stuck with me. Too bad, but this thread ain't my idea.

· Premium Member
18,779 Posts
Past star: Sid James for the chatter.
Present star: Rupert from Survivor. He'd know how to keep us alive.
Musician: Phil Woods in his prime. He continually knocks me out on the sax, doesn't need accompaniment, and he can shave his reeds from the local flora.

I just realized, none of these are particularly good-looking. Hey, it's a bunch of guys. What do I care?

· Registered
1,243 Posts
Category A: Edmund Kean

Forehead Hair Nose Face Cheek

I trust Mr. Hazlitt on this one! (How's that for stars of yesteryear?)

Category B: Clint Eastwood, easily. He seems like a nice, reserved, dignified man nowadays; but of course I don't actually know. Second choice is Ramón Estévez, i.e. Martin Sheen.

Category C: Sonny Terry could entertain me all by himself for hours!

· Registered
219 Posts
I would choose Captain Bligh. The guy sailed safely from Tahiti to Timor in an open boat, with the men who had remained loyal to him and nothing but a quadrant and a pocket watch and no maps or charts. That's the guy you want with you if you are stranded on a desert island. Unless, of course, you've got Scarlett Johansson and Sophia Loren with you. In that case you don't want no darn navigators.

· Registered
2,481 Posts
A. Montgomery Clift ~ 35. There's just something really sincere about the guy - he's someone you could count on. And both The Clash and R.E.M. wrote a song about him.

Forehead Hair Head Chin Eyebrow

B. Robert Smith of The Cure (preferably at 35 as well - his hard living is catching up to him). Despite the gloomy image, I bet he's hilarious in person.

Forehead Nose Cheek Lip Chin

C. Mozart. Dude's crazy...

Forehead Chin Eyebrow Organ Temple

· Registered
23,985 Posts
A. Bogart. When we get close, I persuade him to leave his wardrobe to me in his will.

B. Chip Kelly. I need to talk football with this guy. (I was going to pick Paul Krugman, and then I realized that it would be wrong of me to have him all to myself. But the world can spare the Chipper for a few seasons.)

C. Anthony Braxton.

· Registered
2,201 Posts
1. Dick Powell. From callow youth in Busby Berkely movies to Philip Marlowe in Farewell my Lovely. Bet he had some stories, and I'de get him to sing "I'll string along with you" to me.

2, Stephen Hawking. I'll like to tell him how funny I thought a 'Brief History of Time' was and run some of my own beer-glass theories of my own past him.

3, Anton Webern. I'de like to give him a big hug and a kiss, then show him the modern world. Or should that be the Post-modern world?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.