Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
I like a lot of people :D

my favourite is tschaikowsky, but I also adore brahms, beethoven, haven't heard much Händel :( , from what little haydn I have heard, I like him :D, chopin is also nice, although I don't have much chopin, did I mention that I worship bach :lol:, schubert is wonderful (especially his songs). I am sure I forgot some people :rolleyes:

·
Registered
109 Posts
tschaikowky crazy pieces? :eek: :blink: not melodic? :huh:

where was that? can you give me any examples?

all the tschaikowsky I ever heard was melodic, and the only parts that go crazy are not really that crazy, perhaps fast and loud, to express vulgar enthusiasm (on purpose), or messy and loud, for example to express the atmosphere of hell in francessca da remini, the same piace in which he uses some amazing melodies in the middle section, with some of the best woodwind scoring I ever heard.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by oistrach13@Aug 10 2004, 09:06 PM
tschaikowky crazy pieces? :eek: :blink: not melodic? :huh:

where was that? can you give me any examples?

all the tschaikowsky I ever heard was melodic, and the only parts that go crazy are not really that crazy, perhaps fast and loud, to express vulgar enthusiasm (on purpose), or messy and loud, for example to express the atmosphere of hell in francessca da remini, the same piace in which he uses some amazing melodies in the middle section, with some of the best woodwind scoring I ever heard.
[snapback]1469[/snapback]​
Many of Tchaikovsky's pieces are just BEAUTIFULLY melodic, even though fast and loud. The pieces I listen to a lot by him are some of my favorite music. (Like selections from Swan Lake and Nutcracker) And yes, I consider him a master at tone color (the choice of instruments--escpecially his woodwinds), along with Haydn. What I was talking about was pieces like Marche Slave, and a few others I can't remember. But that's just my own opinion. :) I love much of Tchaikovsky's music.

·
Registered
132 Posts
hello,
Oddly enough, I find Tchaikovsky's music a little bland. Maybe I just think badly of him because of his rather silly viola peice...
My favorite composer is, at the moment, Strauss. His music is great stuff. Also, he covers such a wide range- opera, orchestral music, chamber music.
My second favorite composer is Havergal Brian. I love his symphonies! However, I have yet to hear any of his operas or chamber music by him simply because he is not performed.
Some other favorite composers include:

Vaughan Williams ( some of his music is great; the other stuff is just embarrassing )
Ravel
Saint-Saens
Bax
Donizetti
Rameaux ( too much Rameaux and I start chewing the carpets however )
Vivaldi ( his wonderfull operas and... bassoons! )
Mussorsky
Stravinsky
Prokofiev
Purcell

Composers I like but haven't heard enough of to judge:

Faure
Meyerbeer ( the more I listen, the greater he sounds! )
Mendelssohn
Beethoven
Webern
Wolf
Liszt

Composers who I find bland, but everyone else likes:

Hadyn
Mozart
Tchaikovsky
Paganini
Chopin

·
Registered
132 Posts
To Daniel:
I preffer Mozart, I even like some of his peices ( he could write wonderfully for clarinets ), but in all honesty I've only listened to Hadyn symphonies and some quartets. I'd have to listen to much more Hadyn to tell.
Oh, on my list I forgot Bartok; I love Bartok's music He is my third favorite composer.

To Quavarion:
I love Waxman's Carmen fantasia for viola! It makes me laugh so hard, it is perhaps the funniest peice ever written for viola ( it is kind of like a parody of Carmen for viola and piano ). It's one of the few peices that are both good and funny.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I like Liszt but I don't like Chopin.
Update on Hadyn: I spent last night listening to many different CDs of Hadyn music. Many symphonies, a few quartets and even an opera by him. I must confess. The whole time I was bored out of my head. Give me Webern anyday if Hadyn is the only other option :D

·
Registered
768 Posts
Try some Piano sonatas by Haydn :D...but only if you are not too bored :D....otherwise call me, then I will buy you some Webern tomorrow, when I go to the CD-shop (for example to look up the Gothic Symphonie :D)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Don't know that I have a favourite...I suppose if I had to pick, right now it would be Bach.

It's more like I have non-favourites...like Walton (*blech*).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mozart (my absolute favorite)

Vivaldi

Bach

Schumann

Chopin

Some Bizet

Some Rimsky-Korsakoff

Rachmaninoff (obviously)

Gershwin ( I know some might argue about him being included in "classical," but I don't care!)

I really, really do not care for Beethoven, despise Wagner, Copland, and not too terribly fond of Stravinsky, for that matter.

1 - 20 of 151 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.