Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Verdi!
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been binge watching Lupin III: A Woman Named Fujiko Mine and episode 4 Tosca is being performed. While they butchered the plot, I'm very curious who is the soprano and baritone here

Here is the first part

Here is the second part

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
i've noticed that when operatic music appears in commercial or popular culture the singer is usually some unidentified person you'd prefer not to hear.
To be fair, I've noticed the opposite. I think of Callas in Philadelphia and The Iron Lady, Caruso in Woody Allen's Match Point (although recordings with less well known singers were also used in that film), Janowitz and Mathis in the Shawshank Redemption and Tebaldi and Bergonzi in Moonstruck. The film Quartet in which the Rigoletto quartet is central uses the recording by Sutherland, Pavarotti, Milnes and Tourangeau.

That said, when opera is used in commercials (and that's where we are most often to encounter it outside of classical music circles in everyday life), lesser known artists in presumably cheaper to license recordings are often heard.

N.

·
Registered
19,823 Posts
To be fair, I've noticed the opposite. I think of Callas in Philadelphia and The Iron Lady, Caruso in Woody Allen's Match Point (although recordings with less well known singers were also used in that film), Janowitz and Mathis in the Shawshank Redemption and Tebaldi and Bergonzi in Moonstruck. The film Quartet in which the Rigoletto quartet is central uses the recording by Sutherland, Pavarotti, Milnes and Tourangeau.

That said, when opera is used in commercials (and that's where we are most often to encounter it outside of classical music circles in everyday life), lesser known artists in presumably cheaper to license recordings are often heard.

N.
Fair observation. I wasn't thinking of the use of opera in high-quality films, where it's apt to be respected, but of more commercial uses.

·
Registered
9,363 Posts
Not forgetting the use of the Callas Tosca recording in Milk.

·
Registered
Verdi!
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i've noticed that when operatic music appears in commercial or popular culture the singer is usually some unidentified person you'd prefer not to hear.
Agreed. Rewatching the episode and a character earlier in the episode describes her as "soprano drammatico d'agilita" and I had to laugh. Save me

Probably because it's cheaper maybe, but also maybe because they don't have the ear for it, and audiences wouldn't care - unfortunately. If it sounds kind of operatic ish and they can BS it all the way, they'll probably use it. And that's how people think 10 year old girls can sing Calaf...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts