Classical Music Forum banner

Who should be the next conductor of the Berlin Philharmonic?

• Kirill Petrenko

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Andris Nelsons

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yannick Nezet-Seguin

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Gustavo Dudamel

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Semyon Bychkov

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Ivan Fischer

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Christian Thieleman

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Another Candidate

Votes: 9 33.3%
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Registered
508 Posts
This is not my personal opinion since I interpreted the title as "who do you think will be" instead of "who would you like to be".

From the number of invited concerts and how fast he is going up in his career, only one name comes to me: Gustavo Dudamel.

My personal wish is: Christian Thielemann. A Berliner with the Berliners.

· Registered
7,018 Posts
When we did this poll a few months ago my prediction was that the orchestra will choose either someone very germanic (Thieleman) or as a second choice someone with a very highbrow media profile (Dudamel), anyway that is what the Berliner tradition has been for the last 100 years!

FWIW, none of the other of Your suggestions or Mahlerian's suggestion of Jurowski Jr are highbrow enough and Bychkov have been tried tested and tried before and I don't think that the orchestra could agree on his qualifications as "The" Kapellmeister!

Personally I don't have a clear favourite even if I think Dudamel is a smashing chap, and in the hapstance that neither he nor Thieleman could be agreed on or are available I think they will choose a transitional Kapellmeister from an "older" generation, von Dohnányi is perhaps to old, Chailly to young, the only one I can think of is Christoph Eschenbach, is he the doyen of German living conductors?

/ptr

· Premium Member
13,959 Posts
Perhaps Ingo Metzmacher might be in with a shout - and he has already 'Berlined' when he was with the Deutsche Symphonie-Orchester.

· Registered
508 Posts
When we did this poll a few months ago my prediction was that the orchestra will choose either someone very germanic (Thieleman) or as a second choice someone with a very highbrow media profile (Dudamel), anyway that is what the Berliner tradition has been for the last 100 years!

FWIW, none of the other of Your suggestions or Mahlerian's suggestion of Jurowski Jr are highbrow enough and Bychkov have been tried tested and tried before and I don't think that the orchestra could agree on his qualifications as "The" Kapellmeister!

Personally I don't have a clear favourite even if I think Dudamel is a smashing chap, and in the hapstance that neither he nor Thieleman could be agreed on or are available I think they will choose a transitional Kapellmeister from an "older" generation, von Dohnányi is perhaps to old, Chailly to young, the only one I can think of is Christoph Eschenbach, is he the doyen of German living conductors?
/ptr
Chailly would be a great call as well in my opinion.

· Registered
9,759 Posts
This is not my personal opinion since I interpreted the title as "who do you think will be" instead of "who would you like to be".

From the number of invited concerts and how fast he is going up in his career, only one name comes to me: Gustavo Dudamel.

My personal wish is: Christian Thielemann. A Berliner with the Berliners.
The Berliners may not vote for Thielemann because of his anti-immigrant beliefs.

http://slippedisc.com/2015/01/christian-thielemann-we-should-listen-to-pegida-issues/

After close deliberation, I voted for Dudamel because of the fact that he recorded with the Berliners on DG and he will bring fresh blood into the orchestra as well.

Dudamel's progressive views will fit in rather well with the goals of what the Berliners are trying to achieve.

Reactions: Triplets

· Registered
8,244 Posts
My answer on the previous thread:

Susanna Mälkki

They could use someone who isn't just going to keep turning out sets of the standard repertoire, and someone who wasn't entering retirement years and could really take the time to lead and transform attitudes to living composers through the most high-profile orchestra. At would be very interesting if the Berliners could take on the larger scale works by the typre of composers Malkki would be familiar from time spent with Ensemble Intercontemporain.
Though I believe she's just taken on a new position.

· Registered
20,103 Posts
Petrenko - Political baggage.
Nelsons - Podium dancer. New to Boston.
YNS - Too young, not seasoned.
Dudamel - Podium dancer. Rattle hair.:eek:
Bychkov - Good recs. ages ago with BPO No chance.
Fischer - Headstrong. Bound to Budapest.
Thielemann - Political baggage.

Last I spoke on this topic, I thought Salonen might be the one. I still do. His contract with Philharmonia runs 'til 16/17 season. And he has considerable DG ties, as composer and conductor.

My favorite picks would be Sir Antonio Pappano or Daniel Harding. Any way I look at it, the road still appears to be through England.:tiphat:

· Registered
6,536 Posts
I've always liked Fisher. Heard him in Cincinnati several times. Then with the New York Philharmonic as a last minute replacement for a conductor taken ill. He stepped in to conduct a brilliant, nuanced performance of Mahler 4. Wish I had that one on CD!

· Registered
9,759 Posts
It should be Ferenc Fricsay. Ain't going to be, but a should is a should.
Fricsay could conduct any orchestra and it would be pure magic.

Reactions: AClockworkOrange
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.