Classical Music Forum banner

Who should be the next conductor of the Berlin Philharmonic?

• Kirill Petrenko

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Andris Nelsons

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yannick Nezet-Seguin

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Gustavo Dudamel

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Semyon Bychkov

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Ivan Fischer

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Christian Thieleman

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Another Candidate

Votes: 9 33.3%
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
508 Posts
This is not my personal opinion since I interpreted the title as "who do you think will be" instead of "who would you like to be".

From the number of invited concerts and how fast he is going up in his career, only one name comes to me: Gustavo Dudamel.

My personal wish is: Christian Thielemann. A Berliner with the Berliners.

· Registered
508 Posts
When we did this poll a few months ago my prediction was that the orchestra will choose either someone very germanic (Thieleman) or as a second choice someone with a very highbrow media profile (Dudamel), anyway that is what the Berliner tradition has been for the last 100 years!

FWIW, none of the other of Your suggestions or Mahlerian's suggestion of Jurowski Jr are highbrow enough and Bychkov have been tried tested and tried before and I don't think that the orchestra could agree on his qualifications as "The" Kapellmeister!

Personally I don't have a clear favourite even if I think Dudamel is a smashing chap, and in the hapstance that neither he nor Thieleman could be agreed on or are available I think they will choose a transitional Kapellmeister from an "older" generation, von Dohnányi is perhaps to old, Chailly to young, the only one I can think of is Christoph Eschenbach, is he the doyen of German living conductors?
/ptr
Chailly would be a great call as well in my opinion.

· Registered
508 Posts
Who makes the decision?

- Bill
A few years ago, when I lived in Germany I went to a guided tour at the Philharmonie backstage. One guy asked the guide this exact same question. The answer was: the orchestra throw a few names and a non profit council of the BPO decides.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.