Classical Music Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I think I'll just remember that a soprano's high C is C3 and count down or up from there. But only when I'm forced to at gunpoint.
I think there's an older European notation that puts it like that. In standard American notation, it's
C6: soprano high C
C5: tenor high C
C4: middle C
C3: low C (low range of tenor)
C2: deep C (low range of basso)

the number changes at C, so B5 is just before C6 (ex: my range in peak vocal condition was around D#2-Bb4, my good notes were from around F2-Ab4)

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I think there's an older European notation that puts it like that. In standard American notation, it's
C6: soprano high C
C5: tenor high C
C4: middle C
C3: low C (low range of tenor)
C2: deep C (low range of basso)

the number changes at C, so B5 is just before C6 (ex: my range in peak vocal condition was around D#2-Bb4, my good notes were from around F2-Ab4)
My range went up to G6 at 15 and it was really big up to C6, but puberty won out. I wish I had a Youtube time capsule from then. I could sing along with Callas. Je Suis Titania was my favorite. Dimash reminds me of the voice I lost, but of course his is much better. The joys of dating were compensation for losing my soprano, but I felt like I was missing something for many years after I lost my upper register.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
What's a Wagnerian soprano?

I'm tempted to put forward Waltraud Meier (after all she sang Isolde and Sieglinde and recorded the imolation scene). However, I think that's cheating, she really was a mezzo, despite sometimes singing soprano roles.

I'm guessing that 'Wagnerian soprano' here means the type of dramatic soprano that sang/sings Brunhilde and Isolde. This isn't a voice type that particularly appeals to me and I find Flagstad didn't have the emotional depth that I need in any singing for me to be a fan (despite the glorious scale of her voice and singing). My favourite Brunhilde is Modl, (Which proves that Woodduck is right about some of us being weird), but I consider the greatest Brunhildes to be Leider and Marjorie Lawrence (I know that's herectical, but there goes).

However, that isn't the whole story. I much prefer the lighter types of Wagnerian soprano, such as would be ideal for Elsa, Elizabeth or Sieglinde. I like Grummer and Schwarzkopf in their music. That said, I'm going to go with Cheryl Studer. I was fortunate enough to see one of her Elizabeth's in Vienna and it was one of the most moving performances I have ever seen. She's my favourite Wagnerian soprano.

N.

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
What's a Wagnerian soprano?

I'm tempted to put forward Waltraud Meier (after all she sang Isolde and Sieglinde and recorded the imolation scene). However, I think that's cheating, she really was a mezzo, despite sometimes singing soprano roles.

I'm guessing that 'Wagnerian soprano' here means the type of dramatic soprano that sang/sings Brunhilde and Isolde. This isn't a voice type that particularly appeals to me and I find Flagstad didn't have the emotional depth that I need in any singing for me to be a fan (despite the glorious scale of her voice and singing). My favourite Brunhilde is Modl, (Which proves that Woodduck is right about some of us being weird), but I consider the greatest Brunhildes to be Leider and Marjorie Lawrence (I know that's herectical, but there goes).

However, that isn't the whole story. I much prefer the lighter types of Wagnerian soprano, such as would be ideal for Elsa, Elizabeth or Sieglinde. I like Grummer and Schwarzkopf in their music. That said, I'm going to go with Cheryl Studer. I was fortunate enough to see one of her Elizabeth's in Vienna and it was one of the most moving performances I have ever seen. She's my favourite Wagnerian soprano.

N.
I made a similar point in post #9. Most people think of Brünnhilde or Isolde when they think of Wagnerian sopranos, but that's only two roles. What of Senta, Elisabeth, Elsa, Sieglinde, Eva or even Kundry, which is often sung by both sopranos and mezzos?

Incidentally, from what I know of Marjorie Lawrence, she would also be a contender for me.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I made a similar point in post #9. Most people think of Brünnhilde or Isolde when they think of Wagnerian sopranos, but that's only two roles. What of Senta, Elisabeth, Elsa, Sieglinde, Eva or even Kundry, which is often sung by both sopranos and mezzos?

Incidentally, from what I know of Marjorie Lawrence, she would also be a contender for me.
I have heard others greatly praise Marjorie and the bits I have heard sounded great, plus she looked great onstage.

·
Registered
19,681 Posts
Unless you hang out in nursing homes Nilsson is probably the greatest Wagnerian soprano that anyone has ever heard live who you would encounter today. She was really wonderful in the roles and was never defeated by the music.
The only one in the last half-century who looked and sounded like a daughter of Wotan.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Head Outerwear Jaw Sleeve Gesture

Germaine Lublin as Isolde. When Karajan heard her at Bayreuth in 1939 under de Sabata he said, 'She was the most gracious, noble, the most wonderful Isolde I have ever encountered, better than those endless German cannons who have sung the role.'
Unfortunately she got put in prison after the war on collaboration charges which curtailed her career. The voice is very clear from what one can hear on the ancient recordings

·
Registered
713 Posts
View attachment 166115

Germaine Lublin as Isolde. When Karajan heard her at Bayreuth in 1939 under de Sabata he said, 'She was the most gracious, noble, the most wonderful Isolde I have ever encountered, better than those endless German cannons who have sung the role.'
Unfortunately she got put in prison after the war on collaboration charges which curtailed her career. The voice is very clear from what one can hear on the ancient recordings
Thanks for bringing up Lubin, who is probably my favorite Wagnerian soprano. I usually think of her as a Ponselle who decided to have a career in Wagner and even prefer her sensuous timbre to Flagstad's and Leider's. It's a pity that she didn't leave many recordings (compared to her contemporaries) and there is no extensive scenes or full opera with her. I read that she was a ]difficult person to work with and didn't get along with her colleagues; that might explain why.

And as you said, her career was over after the war with those charges even though she was eventually acquitted. Else, we could have her voice captured in better sound in the early 1950s like we do with Flagstad.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
To me Jones is best when you can watch her sing. You forget her faults because she is so beautiful and riveting as an actress. I love her Ring DVD's.
I agree. Apart from her early work (when her voice was brighter and lighter) she sounds somewhat uncomfortable vocally. However, she is incredibly convincing when you can see her as well as hear her. Not necessarily due to her good acting, but the results of her vocal emission somehow match and only make complete sense when combined with her visual committment and stage presence.

N.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Waltraud Meier for me! I was first mersmerised by her performance in the 2007? Scala production Tristan &Isolde....also so beautiful at 51...
I also have a lot of love for Meier. One of the best of the modern era by a long way. I've also seen her as both Isolde and Kundry and would have to describe her performances as utterly thrilling. I'm not sure how well this translates into recordings, but on stage she was fabulous.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
I also have a lot of love for Meier. One of the best of the modern era by a long way. I've also seen her as both Isolde and Kundry and would have to describe her performances as utterly thrilling. I'm not sure how well this translates into recordings, but on stage she was fabulous.
I like her both on stage (I have seen her many times) and on recordings. Strictly speaking she is a mezzo, but since she's sung both Isolde and Sieglinde, I think we can include her in a 'Wagnerian sopranos' thread.

N.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts