Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 9 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Mahler
3,907 Posts
It appears to me that some film scores can be considered classical and some can not.
When I studied music as an undergrad I learned that there were certain methods employed by classical composers in order to structure their works. We studied some of these in form and analysis, and orchestration classes. I learned of many of these methods in a jazz arranging class I took in grad school.
If a composer employs the same methods in his film score it seems to me that one could consider it classical.

Reactions: Varick

·
Registered
Mahler
3,907 Posts
I am seventy-five. When I was younger in America there was a significant anima in the classical music community toward film music.
Why? I do not know. My guess was that it was snobbery.
Today that is no longer the case.

·
Registered
Mahler
3,907 Posts
I have a question that may have a bearing on this discussion.
Was European Concert Music the first genre to employ music notation?

·
Registered
Mahler
3,907 Posts
I remember in music history class we studied the history of music notation and the notation employed in Medieval sacred music evolved into modern notation. It took a few centuries.
I was asking if Classical Indian Music, Chinese, Japanese. etc. have a system of notation.

·
Registered
Mahler
3,907 Posts
The following is an interesting interview between Sarah Willis, a hornist of the Berlin Philharmonic, and John Williams.

·
Registered
Mahler
3,907 Posts
The bottom line is that irregardless of the status of Pluto, most of us here consider many film scores to be a form of classical music.

·
Registered
Mahler
3,907 Posts
There are members who believe that film music can be a form of classical music.
There are some who do not.
After all of this hot air I seriously doubt if anyone has changed his mind.
So what if Johnson does not believe film can be classical. That is his problem not mine.

Reactions: Chibi Ubu

·
Registered
Mahler
3,907 Posts
But I hope you're aware that a statement like that is not going to be received well. I've noticed that in older threads, someone expressing dislike of modern classical is usually ganged up on.
It works both ways.
There have been many proponents of modern music that have been driven out of this forum. Two of them are Some Guy and Mahlerian. I know of many more.

In the old Amazon music forum, the anti-modernists were effective in suppressing all discussions of modern music for over a year.

Reactions: Enthusiast

·
Registered
Mahler
3,907 Posts
In post 127 I stated:

It appears to me that some film scores can be considered classical and some can not.
When I studied music as an undergrad I learned that there were certain methods employed by classical composers in order to structure their works. We studied some of these in form and analysis, and orchestration classes. I learned of many of these methods in a jazz arranging class I took in grad school.
If a composer employs the same methods in his film score it seems to me that one could consider it classical.
I have seen nothing in the succeeding posts to change my mind.

1 - 9 of 10 Posts