Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
Chicago (ex-Dublin)
2,877 Posts
Must it not be because of recording technology?

The style of playing violin music has changed, to my mind, in the opposite direction. The earlier twentieth-century players used a very smooth throbbing-vibrato technique that I don't much like - I feel as if I've eaten too many chocolate creams. The modern style seems more understated.

But I take your point about the crackling. That is what makes me think it must be less-advanced technology.
Agreed in regards to the difference in this instance being due to improvements utilized in recording technology.

Another reason that one may hear "differences" in the sound of the violin(s) being heard is the actual type of violin strings being used -

"The Violinist.com Guide to Choosing Violin Strings"

https://www.violinist.com/wiki/violin-strings/

"Gut strings are known for having a warm, rich sound with many complex overtones. Gut strings tend to take longer to stretch than synthetics, and once stretched they are generally stable but can react to changing weather conditions and generally require more tuning than synthetic core strings. Different string gauges for gut strings can change the quality and power of tone drastically. Usually a smaller gauge gut string will have less carrying power and be rather 'bright' sounding, whereas a thicker gauge gut string will be more powerful, gritty and with a higher string tension. Musicians playing Baroque or early music often prefer gut strings for the sound."

"Strings made of steel core have a direct, clear sound, and few overtones, although those that are wound can have more interesting overtones. They are much more stable in pitch than gut. They also last longer. They are very bright sounding, and sometimes thin, although again the thinness can be negated by windings."

"Synthetic Core strings have the warm sound qualities of gut, but are much more stable pitch."

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.