Classical Music Forum banner

Do young people hate classical music?

81 - 100 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
How can they have no experience of it when it appears in ads, movies, and TV every so often? Even that little bit of exposure was enough to reel me in when I was their age.
But pop culture uses brief sound clips of pieces. It's another thing to listen to even two minutes of a CM piece.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Most classical music needs some sort of learning to appreciate it. If you propose it to people subjected to pop only, they won't like it. I don't believe it's a matter of age.

Here in Germany, where so many people play music, many young persons like classical music.
Its the same with food. If your raised on MacDonald's as a reference, then high quality food tastes awful. We like what we are used to.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
But pop culture uses brief sound clips of pieces. It's another thing to listen to even two minutes of a CM piece.
I disagree with this. Just the sound of classical music was so different so beautiful to me that it was arresting. I didn't need to hear an entire work to know I wanted to hear more of this kind of music. I think if it's in you to like it, it won't take much to get you to pursue it.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Well, by that logic production/library music would be the most popular genre on earth, and not the type of thing that's mainly enthused about by true eccentrics.
I don't know what production/library music so I don't know what you mean.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Most people who are ignorant of Classical music would not recognize it in an ad, or movie trailer, since what they would perceive was just an orchestra playing. It would just be some background music accompanying a more interesting sensory experience.
They don't have to recognize what it is initially. If they were sufficiently motivated by its beauty they would find the ad on youtube and somewhere in the comments someone would reveal the name of the music. And I think they know it's classical. We all recognize classical. Just about anything played by a symphony orchestra is classical.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Is it true young people hate classical music???
There's a discussion on this in A Young Person's Guide to Classical Music
I've been down that path, having grown up with the pops of the fifties. By the time 1960 arrived I was sick of them; they seemed to be descending into mere noise. That left me floundering (life without music was NOT acceptable) especially as I already knew I didn't like jazz. Then Mum bought a radiogram (mono) and she needed something to play on it. Among what she bought I remember an LP of Hawaiian guitar music. Very nice, but all a bit of a muchness. Then along came a 10-inch LP featuring Sir John Barbirolli conducting the Hallé Orchestra in Swan Lake Suite and one of the L'Arlésienne suites. I think the image of a ballerina dancing in a tutu made her buy this; she knew no more of Swan Lake than I did. But we couldn't stop her playing it: her radiogram, her house you know. After hearing it enough times I landed up not wanting to play anything else! Very frustrating. I tried listening to 1YC (which is what New Zealand's classical music radio station was called then) but everything was just sounds to me. I had terrible listening skills, IOW, just like the youngsters of today. I joined WRC, the only way to buy LPs relatively cheaply. At the time I joined, WRC took over The Record Society's catalogue and described its repertoire as "esoteric". I immediately dashed to the dictionary. "Able to be appreciated only by the initiated" it declared. A great deal of RS's catalogue consisted of chamber and solo music. How, I asked myself, could listening to, say, Beethoven on four instruments be harder than Beethoven using 60 or more instruments? Consequently I made some terrible blunders. Bach fugues are NOT for the beginner. Even worse, played on that monstrosity Wanda Landowska fondly called a harpsichord should have been enough to turn me off both Bach and harpsichords. Bach's Musical Offering also comes under the heading of too difficult for beginners, but I bought that too (Menuhin's recording). My middle sister joined me in my new hobby and it was quite a surprise to learn that, while she continued to prefer big orchestral 19th century music, my preference landed up being chamber music and solo instruments. I'm not all that fond of the 19th century, to be honest, and can't stand anything much after that. I've often said the Devil doesn't even have one good tune. All the good tunes were stolen by the classical composers, leaving almost nothing for the 20th and 21st centuries. At the moment I am acquainting myself with the great Weiss. Wow! Why is this man's work not considered absolutely essential in any classical collection? I love Bach's lute suites, but Weiss is even better.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I disagree with this. Just the sound of classical music was so different so beautiful to me that it was arresting. I didn't need to hear an entire work to know I wanted to hear more of this kind of music. I think if it's in you to like it, it won't take much to get you to pursue it.
Most people don't respond that way to CM, and kids have short attention spans.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It is impossible for young people to hate Classical music. You can't hate something you ignore. But the great thing is, if they love any kind of music, eventually they will discover Classical music. And for some of them, it will become a fixture of their lives.
I consider teaching myself appreciation of Classical music is the greatest gift I ever gave myself. Or you could say it's the greatest gift my mother gave me because it was her whim in buying Barbirolli's Swan Lake and one of the L'Arlésienne that led me to classical music. I feel sorry for anybody who hasn't discovered classical music. Remember how O'Dette came to it? At 15, he played guitar in a rock band. Someone suggested that for purposes of technique he might like to take classical guitar lessons. His teacher gave him some lute transcriptions and that was the end of his career as a pop guitarist. I find it hard to believe that anyone doing what O'Dette did could possibly want to go back to his rock band (unless he had a head full of air instead of a brain).

·
Registered
166 Posts
I don't think young people hate CM. I have 2 children who don't mind it because I'm playing it all the time. Young people just don't get it at their tender age as they have fuel to burn and prefer Rock or Pop. I didn't have a clue what Bob Marley was wailing about until I had my 1st joint and it all suddenly fell into place. Go Bob. No doubt as they mature and slow down a little they might even appreciate it somewhat. Don't forget Classical instrument players start very young to reach their goals. I don't get Heavy Metal or Country but I dont hate it. No sireee, not me.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
At risk of being accused of heresy, I think that Wendy Carlos did a wonderful job with Bach's Brandenburg Concertos (Switched On Bach) listened to by our youth through some headphones. I know it worked very well for me when that stuff was released back in 1968. The mixing technique employed on that album still blows me away. :)

·
Registered
806 Posts
And it's not just young people. Last Thanksgiving we had a full house and I put on some favorite chamber works. Up first, the Korngold Much Ado About Nothing suite for violin and piano. It wasn't going for five minutes when a brother in law comes into the room and yells "Why are we listening to this ***t? Put something on people like!" His wife apologized. But a young nephew offered to put some rap on. So my music was rejected by a man who is 70 and a kid who was 20. Neither will be invited again.
If I may, I believe you went about this the wrong way. I would never put upon a bunch of people of any age or ages, music where there is a 99.9999999% chance they've never heard before. If I play classical music in a group of people who most likely have a wide range of diverse musical tastes, I put on popular classical pieces (I've actually made a "popular classical" playlist). Pieces that most, if not all the people in the group will be familiar with. Most people don't mind and even some enjoy it to the point where they'll ask, "Who wrote this?" In some ways, I can't blame your family's reaction, and I certainly wouldn't "not invite" them if they're family. My family (brothers) is brutally honest with each other and we take great pleasure in busting each other's chops. If one of my brother's came in and yelled "Why are listening to this ***t?"
1. I would know he's breaking my gonads and
2. I would respond with something like, "Because I want to P*ss you off."

and that would be the end of it.

People around me obviously do not like people who love classical music. However, I am also glad to see that people at least respect others music choices. In my current high school nobody really express their disrespect towards me though they know I love classical music. They surely won’t welcome me if I try to straightforwardly introduce them classical music, but as long as I don’t bother them, they are fine with me. It’s no longer the 1960s and 70s when people deliberately went against and denied traditions. People today are getting more moderate and inclusive than ever, especially in my high school, so I do not worry about being disliked at all. However, I do know that many people outside of my school hate people who listen to classical music. But many classical music lovers dislike those who listen to modern music, then why isn’t the other way around problematic?
I must say, in the 51 years of my life, I have yet to meet a single person who does "not like those who love classical music." And I've traveled all over the world and met a great many people. I've met people who like and dislike every genre of music there is, but not the people who listen to those genres. I can't stand house/dj music nor heavy metal nor country, but I know plenty of wonderful people who love each of those genres. There are certain posts that I read that leave me utterly baffled. This is one of them.

V

·
Registered
228 Posts
In my Hometown young people HATE Classical music. For them, this music was created by white men, in Europe, centuries ago, rooted in Middle class values.

They love hip hop, hip hop and hip hop.
Indeed, they adore this genre as the peak of our civilization. Each hip hop song is a super masterpiece.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Don't forget the desire by governments to favour what brings them taxes (pop music) and hinders what costs moneys (classical music).

In the French school I attended, the secret police agent infiltrated among us tried to impose what we should have liked: what clothes, what vocabulary, which opinions, and also what music. You guess, it was pop. I didn't influence me as I already played the violin for years.

More recently, the government let music classes teach pop music at school. Just a way to create ideal consumers.

Reactions: Chibi Ubu

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hate is a strong word. I think that most young people don't appreciate or have any use for classical music. They want their own music of today.
The word hate is used so much these days it has lost its meaning. Have "most young children" ever loved classical music, Really? I doubt it. I think we have to admit that it is something most folks simply won't listen to when "popular" music, with a basic, danceable beat, is everywhere. To appreciate a Beethoven quartet takes an acquired taste.

·
Registered
6 Posts
In my Hometown young people HATE Classical music. For them, this music was created by white men, in Europe, centuries ago, rooted in Middle class values.

They love hip hop, hip hop and hip hop.
Indeed, they adore this genre as the peak of our civilization. Each hip hop song is a super masterpiece.
i doubt very much that all the young people even know that classical music was written by white Europeans. Most people would never say that classical music is the first type of music they would listen to, not just today's young people. This website is almost 100% comprised of people who love classical music. Why be concerned about those who don't? The folks who love hip hope do not care if you don't like it. De gustibus non disputandem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Back in the early 70's I was like young adult listening to popular music, but my tastes were classical. Then, I outgrew that music and adverted to my classical training on the clarinet. I went on a two-year binge to immerse myself in classics in both music and literature. I can still recall when I first listened to the first measures of Beethoven's Eroica Symphony. I must have been as gape-jawed as were those who first heard it.

In America, we don't teach classical music which is so more abundantly varied in scope and quality. I have long said Americans do not have good taste. What other country would praise Rap which is neither music nor poetry nor good.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Most people don't respond that way to CM, and kids have short attention spans.
I was 13 then. I guess most kids weren't and still aren't like me. The audience was much older at live classical concerts I attended while in college and I thought classical music would go extinct when they were gone. It didn't. The audience is still older but now I'm older too. The explanation must be that most people don't respond to classical music until they are no longer kids and they pick it up late in life. (Of course most people never respond to it.)

Reactions: ORigel

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
The word hate is used so much these days it has lost its meaning. Have "most young children" ever loved classical music, Really? I doubt it. I think we have to admit that it is something most folks simply won't listen to when "popular" music, with a basic, danceable beat, is everywhere. To appreciate a Beethoven quartet takes an acquired taste.
While the last sentence is generally true, I think any CM listener would enjoy the fifth movement of Beethoven's Op 131.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Back in the early 70's I was like young adult listening to popular music, but my tastes were classical. Then, I outgrew that music and adverted to my classical training on the clarinet. I went on a two-year binge to immerse myself in classics in both music and literature. I can still recall when I first listened to the first measures of Beethoven's Eroica Symphony. I must have been as gape-jawed as were those who first heard it.

In America, we don't teach classical music which is so more abundantly varied in scope and quality. I have long said Americans do not have good taste. What other country would praise Rap which is neither music nor poetry nor good.
I think rap takes more effort than some popular songs, at least.

81 - 100 of 117 Posts