Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New England preparing for big blizzard this weekend...lots of snow, high winds....hopefully, we won't suffer too much power outages...
Time to get my winter storm music together:

Vaughan Williams Sym #7 "Antarctica"
Sibelius 4, maybe 1 and 7, too...Tapiola, Pohjola's Daughter
Tchaikovsky #1 "Winter Dreams"
Fucik - "Wintersturm"

probably some Shostakovich, too..
What are some other "wintry" works??

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
There is a piece called Snowstorm by Sviridov, a suite or so.
Not a storm but the dance/waltz of the snowflakes at the end of the first Nutcracker act is very nice.

And of course from Schubert's "Winterreise":
Der stürmische Morgen (stormy morning), Mut (Courage)

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Leopold Mozart - Musical Sleigh Ride
Waldteufel - Skater's Waltz
Prokofiev - Troika from "Lieutenant Kije"
Rachmaninoff - Sliver Sleigh Bells from "The Bells"

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Thoughts of snow and cold weather often get me turning to a Louisville First Edition Records disc, LOU-57-1, featuring Paul Nordoff's Winter Symphony.

Font Circle Electric blue Technology Dvd

I have two copies on black vinyl. An oldie, but a goodie.

Thing is -- I tend to play this one in mid-summer when the weather is hot and humid. Something to cool off to. Not sure why anyone wants reminded of cold, snow, and blizzardy winds in the middle of winter with its cold, snow, and blizzardly winds. Rather, take a step outside and enjoy the sounds of the winter storm.

Me, I'll hunt up some summer music, filled with heat and warmth and gentle breezes. Certainly not José Serebrier's Violin Concerto, 'Winter' (1991), or the one by that Vivaldi feller. Of course, that Vivaldi feller did give us a warm-up concerto, too. Good choice for a winter blizzard soundtrack, in my opinion. And certainly not Georgy Sviridov's The Snowstorm (Musical Sketches To The Story By Alexander Pushkin) or John Rutter's "Blow, Blow, Thou Winter Wind" from Five Meditations For Orchestra. I love Tchaikovsky's First Symphony, too, but again it seems more fitting to me for hot summer dreams.

When the winter weather gets too cold and blustery, you may also want to avoid Joachim Raff's Symphony No 11 Op. 214 In A Minor (Der Winter). I do. I prefer his 9th for such occasions: Symphony No 9 Op. 208 In E Minor (Im Sommer).

There are plenty of "seasons" works out there from which you can choose to go summer or winter, depending upon the season. I said I prefer warming music during cold spells and cool-off music during hot spells. So the "season" works allow for choices depending on your nature.

Dan Locklair has a recording on NAXOS titled Symphony of Seasons (Symphony No. 1) dating from 2002 and featuring "Winter" as the second movement and "Summer" as the fourth. Likewise, Rick Sowash, a favorite composer of mine, offers the Piano Trio No. 1: Four Seasons In Bellville, 1977, with "Winter", an Adagietto as the first movement, and "Summer", Molto Allegro, as the third movement. Thea Musgrave's The Seasons, a worthwhile composition in many ways, gives us "Winter" as a second movement and "Summer" as a fourth. And Jonathan Leshnoff's String Quartet No. 1, available on NAXOS, is also a seasonal work, by movements. There are many many such "season" works to pick movements from.

If you are more of a "wishful thinker," you might try "For, Lo, The Winter Is Past...", the Andante Con Moto from Ralph Vaughan Williams's Flos Campi.

But I'm content to snuggle up to my fireplace, and my well-heated-up tube amplifier during these cold, stormy, white winter days and enjoy music of sunshine and warmth. So ... what do I have in my collection that fits the bill? After all, it's predicted to be a mite cold where I live, too. Ah ... back to Discogs catalog to see what's lurking in my collection that fits the bill. Storm's a comin'.

·
Registered
891 Posts
The first two months (January and February) of Bernard Herrmann's song cycle "The Fantasticks" are pretty bleak. I'm not relishing shoveling the 2 feet projected in my area. (South Eastern Massachusetts).

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
New England preparing for big blizzard this weekend...lots of snow, high winds....hopefully, we won't suffer too much power outages...
Time to get my winter storm music together:

Vaughan Williams Sym #7 "Antarctica"
Sibelius 4, maybe 1 and 7, too...Tapiola, Pohjola's Daughter
Tchaikovsky #1 "Winter Dreams"
Fucik - "Wintersturm"

probably some Shostakovich, too..
What are some other "wintry" works??
Die Walküre, 'Winterstürme wichen dem Wonnemond" obviously.

·
Registered
31,879 Posts
Voces8: Winter
Winter Songs/ Ola Gjeilo (piano)
Ye: Winter

Some new thong to explore.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Demus/DG mid-1960s or the earlier? one on EMI (Moore?) Too lazy to look it up, there must be an EMI from the 60s or so as well, apparently he recorded this about twice per decade. One definitely wants to catch him in fresher voice than all the ones you show except Moore/DG.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts