Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw today that Qatar has reversed course and will NOT be selling beer in the stadiums hosting the World Cup matches.

I can see that, Islamic Law is pretty clear. But from what I understand, they will still be serving champers and chardonnay and all that in the exclusive VIP boxes, so no important folks will be put out. Of course Budweiser has been sponsoring the World cup here in the states for years, so I guess they sorta got shafted.

But for fans, how big a deal is that? Do they sell beer in the stands in the English Premier League? I can see where they might not. A few beers would be nothing short of rocket fuel for football hooligans.

I know if it was baseball, beer would be necessary. Do you have any idea how boring baseball is without those big stadium beers? Its like 10 minutes of action crammed into 4 hours. Without a cold one, you're just out in right field bleachers getting a sunburn.

If it were American football, no beer in the stands would be grounds for the home team to have to forfeit the game

But talking about football, as in the beautiful game, is no beer in the stands really going to make any difference for the fans at the World Cup?

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Tbh this World Cup has been a farce from the day Qatar bribed Fifa to stage it. Nothing would surprise me in Qatar. My only hope is that all my team's players come back uninjured from this joke of a tournament.
Yes. Everything bad or odd that happens now in Qatar is just punishment for the blatant corruption the world of football has been tolerating for decades and that has come to this absurd "high" (low) point.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
In isolation, this is a minor point, but added to all the other little sweet quirks that seem to be surfacing.....

In short, don't drink alcohol in public, don't engage in any acts of gayness, "when in Rome....." blah blah blah.

Or you don't give a prestigious tournament to a country that has struggled to extract itself from the fifteenth century, unless the bribe they bung your way is eye-wateringly humongous.

I'll have had a great deal more enjoyment out of the pure footballing spectacle that was the Women's Euros this summer than this charade of a competition.

Oh, and quite how Budweiser can be described as "beer" is anyone's guess. I do wonder how they get the cat to sit on the bottle, which is an interesting puzzle, but proper Budějovické Budvar is in a different league.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I think a certain level of corruption is unavoidable "noise" in international sports. And it doesn't matter much if a world cup is in France or Brazil, so I don't care much whether it takes place in one or the other because of bribes.
There is even something to be said to have it in countries with not such a strong soccer tradition (US, Japan) or poorer ones (South Africa, they deserved it if only for their enthusiasm and the vuvuzelas :D). But Qatar has literally nothing in its favor except the ability to line the pockets of corrupt functionaries. Bad climate, therefore unusual time, no tradition of the sport, horrible autocratic regime etc. I'll probably watch the matches with the German team and the more important ones in the k.o. phase anyway but with even less enthusiasm than before. (Admittedly, it's been quite a while I could really get excited about such things although I remember 2010 and 2014 as quite entertaining overall, Germany slaughtering Brazil was just something for the ages :D)

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
I've never been less interested in a World Cup than this one - I can't even tell you who is playing Qatar in the opening fixture.
I will be watching the opening fixture....Qatar vs Ecuador.

Wondering what the reaction will be when Ecuador stick three past the hosts ( my prediction, although that will probably not be allowed to happen)

Reactions: Malx

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Wouldn't be too sure about the result. I'm not au fait with the current state of football in the Gulf States, but Qatar have done extremely well in the youth World Cup in the past while Ecuador, who will be hard to beat because S.American teams always are, have never got even close to the likes of Brazil, Argentina or Uruguay in terms of achievement.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
This weeks cynic / realist of the week (delete which is least applicable) prize goes to jim prideaux.
Prefer to see myself as an idealist Malx. As a left leaning Sunderland fan who has spent his entire working life in state education I believe I can justifiably see myself as such.......but when it comes to this World Cup!

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm not sure if I'll get in the right mood for this world cup. Also the public viewing events won't be the same this time.

But regarding the beer, I also had to drink bad beer in the stadium several times. I don't remember if it was at the Champions League, and/or in the World Cup 2006 - but they had to sell some bad tasting beer of the sponsor, despite of the much better local beer in Munich!

And regarding the vuvuzelas: For me they were extremely annoying o_O

It was not possible to hear any fan reactions to the match, or songs anymore.

Also I support giving the World cup to nations without a strong football tradition, as it can trigger an increasing interest in the population for it! But not in the current case, Australia would have been a good choice!

·
Premium Member
8,822 Posts
If England get to the final, I'll watch it. It'd be the first soccer match I'd have watched since the final twelve years ago, when the Netherlands tried to kick the Spanish team into the back of the net.

I think many are of the same opinion.
No one (apart from the govt and people of Qatar) wanted the tournament held there but we're all still watching our country's teams as we still want them to win even though this tournament stinks.

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
I proved to have little will power having watched a few games now.
Japan beating Germany this afternoon was a good watch even if only to prove effort and enthusiasm does sometimes get rewarded - not to mention excellent use of, and timings of, substitutions.
I wonder if there are any Japanese players with Scottish Grannies :unsure:.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts