4. Beethoven
5. Vivaldi
6. John Williams
7. Jerry Goldsmith
8. Max Steiner
9. Paul McCartney
10. Tchaikovsky
11. Sondheim

To a large degree, I'm fine with the excessively large catalogs of Haydn, Mozart, and Bach.

If I had to actually whittle it down to 10 NOW, I suppose Jerry Goldsmith would get the ax.

· Banned
Debussy, Mahler, Strauss, Sibelius, Bartók
6,562 Posts
J. S. Bach
Schumann
Fauré
Albéniz
F. Schmidt
Poulenc
Tippett
Dallapiccola
Lutoslawski
S. Stucky
Big thumbs up for Fauré, Albéniz, Schmidt, Poulenc, Dallapiccola and Lutosławski. (y) All magnificent composers.

· Banned
6,562 Posts
Debussy
Gershwin
Kapustin
Mingus
Mozart
Poulenc
Prokofiev
Ravel
Sondheim
Stravinsky
Nice looking list. Debussy is your number one, eh? You and I will be lifelong friends. I have two framed portraits of Debussy hanging on the walls in the my room along with Strauss, Ravel and some others.

· Registered
51 Posts
Maybe l did one of these awhile back... l don't remember, and it might not have been here anyway. So, in no particular order:

Shostakovich
Schubert
Mahler
Beethoven
J.S. Bach
Bruckner
Brahms
Tchaikovsky
Vaughn Williams
Wagner

That hurt!

· Banned
6,562 Posts
My top 10 ranked: Bach, Mahler, Brahms, Schubert, Shostakovich, Sibelius, Dvorak, Wagner, Bruckner, Ravel.

Now, for the OP's question, I'd probably dump Wagner and Bruckner to get more variety in style. I'd replace them with Takemitsu and Gubaidulina.
Good to see Takemitsu and Gubaidulina rank so high with you. They're both fabulous composers.

· Registered
Sibelius, Beethoven, Satie, Debussy
2,717 Posts
The ten who wrote my favourite pieces of music, not necessarily the ten whose oeuvres I like the most overall:

Sibelius (4th, 5th, 6th and 7th Symphonies)
Vaughan Williams (Pastoral and 5th Symphonies)
Beethoven (3rd, 8th and 9th Symphonies)
Debussy (Preludes and Arabesques)
Satie (Gnossiennes)
Messiaen (Turangalila)
Shostakovich (9th and 11th Symphonies)
Prokofiev (1st and 5th Symphonies)
Fauré (Dolly Suite and Nocturne No 4)
Holst (The Planets Suite)
Stravinsky (Rite of Spring)
Berlioz (Symphonie Fantastique)

· Registered
242 Posts
Nice looking list. Debussy is your number one, eh? You and I will be lifelong friends.
You're too kind. The list was just alphabetical. If it were ranked, I'm not sure where Debussy would end up, but not at the very top. For me, the indispensable Debussy is the piano music and the chamber music. The major orchestral works leave me quite cold, and I have yet to catch the Pelléas bug.

· Registered
156 Posts
1. Rameau
2. Ravel
3. Copland
4. Debussy
5. Tchaikovsky
6. Prokofiev
7. Handel
8. Sibelius
9. Vaughan Williams
10. Dvořák

That list is liable to change at any given moment, and a couple of composers might get shuffled around, but for now that's what I'm going with.

Update: I've edited this list three times already and can't seem to stop tinkering with it.

· Registered
Wagner, Liszt, Mahler, Beethoven, Rachmaninov, Tchaikovsky, Strauss, Schönberg. And many more...
387 Posts
In order:

1. Wagner
2. Mahler
3. Liszt
4. Beethoven
5. Rachmaninov
6. Tchaikovsky
7. R. Strauss
8. Ravel
9. Holst
10. Schönberg