Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What five countries you have never been to are highest on your bucket list?

If you like, you can also list the countries you've been to (which might put your bucket list in perspective).

For me: Norway, Ireland, Chile, Iceland, Japan

Been to*: Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Belgium, Luxembourg, France, Monaco, Spain, Portugal, UK, Germany, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Austria, Italy, Vatican City, San Marino, Poland, Czechia, Slovakia, Hungary, Slovenia, Croatia, Greece, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, South Korea, China, Australia, New Zealand, Cook Islands, Canada, USA, Barbados, Saint Lucia, Grenada, South Africa, Eswatini (=Swaziland).

* Airports don't count......

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
I've only been into Canada (Vancouver) and Mexico (as far south as Ensenada).

I'd love to visit Ireland, Scotland, England, Italy, Spain.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
At 87 I've no longer got a bucket list.
Ireland, (do Wales, Isle of Wight and Scotland count as separate from UK?) France, Italy, Egypt, Iraq, Cyprus, Aden, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Malaysia, Australia. (Most of these were whilst serving in the Royal Air Force)

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
We were recently reminiscing at a get-together for us workers. We've all worked on six of the seven continents. ...Unless Panama is considered South America instead of North America, then it was all seven.

added;
Oh, I'd like to see all of New Zealand.

Reactions: Art Rock

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Bucket list: Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, UK (Scotland in particular), Spain, Greece, Argentina, Tanzania, Vietnam, Singapore.

Been to: Mexico, Hungary, Poland, Taiwan, Hong Kong (before the British handed it over to China)

My wife and I are planning a big vacation for our 20th anniversary in 2023. We are still deciding on a location, but I'm hoping to knock off at least one of those from the list.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I don't really like travelling, but I'd love to visit Antarctica! Don't think my aging unhealthy body can endure the journey though. Also, I know, Antarctica is a continent, but trying to name the countries who have made territorial claims is futile, while I have no idea who has made claim to where anyway.

Given that I don't like travelling, be it for work or for pleasure, still I've been to a few places/countries,

Belgium
China
Denmark
Dubai
England
Germany
Hong Kong
India
Ireland
Japan
Luxembourg
Macau
Netherlands
Norway
Northern Ireland
Singapore
Sweden
Taiwan
Thailand
USA

(Some might dispute separating China, Macau, HK and TW into four entries. I don't want to go into politics, so let me just say that 1) It is a fact one takes an international fight instead of a domestic flight to travel among these places; and 2) please don't take everything you saw on TV for granted. On the other hand, I believe separating Northern Ireland and England into two entries is quite reasonable?)

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I've been to a lot of countries covering all seven continents. Reached the Arctic Ocean in November (technically - Hudson Bay is part of the Arctic Ocean).

I want to visit:

Israel, the Middle East, and North Africa generally
The Eastern Adriatic coast
Cambodia and Vietnam
I haven't been to India (but for some reason, I can't work up much enthusiasm for going)

There are plenty of countries I'd like to return to.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I've been to:

Canada
Mexico
Turks and Caicos
Saint Lucia
Peru
Argentina
Antarctica (I know)
Great Britain
Ireland
France
Spain
Italy
Greece
Germany
Luxembourg
Belgium
The Netherlands
Poland
Czech Republic
Switzerland
Austria
Hungary
Denmark
Sweden
Norway
Finland
Russia
China
Hong Kong
Japan
Indonesia
Bhutan
The Maldives
Korea
Uganda
Kenya (only slightly more than a stopover)
Tanzania
South Africa
Zimbabwe
Botswana

Probably missed 1 or 2.

·
Premium Member
11,108 Posts
I've always had a hankering for Uruguay - it's been politically stable for some time now and it's almost like a well-kept secret in Europe. My dad was in Montevideo for a while when he was in the Royal Navy and it's always sounded an intriguing place.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm interested in more countries, but those are my Top 5 countires I want to visit. This list can change in the long run (hopefully), but has been like this for a couple of years:

New Zealand, Colombia, Ecuador, Canada, Kyrgyzstan

I've been to Chile, Argentina, Bolivia, Peru, Guatemala, USA, Japan, Nepal, and about half of the countries in Europe.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
In France we didn't visit Bretagne, the Loire castles, Bordeaux and parts of the Alsace yet. The German isle of Rügen and the Polish/Prussian coast is on our bucket list as is Lake Constance at the Swiss border. The Italian flower-coast at San Remo we would like to see. Venice we did visit, but there is still a lot of Venice we didn't see. In Spain we did visit Catalonia, Barcelona and San Sebastian. Madrid, the Prado, and all those other grand old cities of Spain we hope to see one day. Of Great Britain we know touristic hot spots like London, Brighton & Oxbridge from visits by train, but we didn't visit the countryside yet with our own car.

·
Registered
7,149 Posts
What five countries you have never been to are highest on your bucket list?
Shamefully, I have never been to Austria which tops my bucket list of 5. Followed by Italy, Iraq, Thailand, China.

·
Premium Member
2,561 Posts
Canada, Chile, Iran, Syria, New Zealand

Been to UK, Ireland, Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Russia, Belarus, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Germany, Denmark, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, France, Andora, Spain, Portugal, Morocco, Monaco, Italy, Malta, San Marino, Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia Herzegovina, Montenegro, Albania, Greece, Turkey, Georgia, Bulgaria, Romania, Moldova, Ukraine, Serbia (Kosovo), Slovakia, Czechia, Hungary, Austria, Leichenstein, Switzerland, USA, Mexico, Brazil, South Africa, UAE, India, Hong Kong, China, Japan, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, Mongolia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan

·
Premium Member
4,908 Posts
The Galapagos Islands, with or without mainland Ecquador
India
China
Russia
Australia

Most of the above would be birding (birdwatching) trips, although cultural aspects would be prominent in many of them.

If I ever finish the above (seems much less likely now "post" COVID) then the following are lesser priorities:

Czech Republic (booked trip originally for Sept 2020, but COVID had other ideas!)
Hungary (booked trip originally for Sept 2020, but COVID had other ideas!)
Belgium (more of a Lambic Beer tour!)
Austria
The Netherlands
New Zealand
Chile
Brazil
Norway
Iceland

Also return trips to Spain, Costa Rica, Italy, England.

I used to travel a lot in the past, but being very risk averse in the COVID era, despite full vaccination with a booster, I am now much more hesitant, so a lot of these trips are receding further and further into a murky future.

I have been to England several times (I should visit the rest of the UK, while it is still a United Kingdom!), France, Italy, Spain, Switzerland (very briefly), Costa Rica (6 trips), Panama, Trinidad, Belize, Mexico, Canada, Egypt, UAE, Lebanon, Greece, and Cyprus. I am probably forgetting a few.

·
Registered
15,360 Posts
Germany
Italy
Spain
Scotland
Sweden

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
My bucket list:
Five in no particular order: India, Peru, Argentina, Kazakhstan, Japan, Israel

Another five on my bucket list: Jordan, Thailand, Madagascar, Bolivia, Spain

Yet another five on my bucket list: Portugal, Mali, Indonesia, Mongolia, New Zealand

Chronological order: Been to UK, Canada, USA, Brazil, France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Luxembourg, Belgium, Netherlands, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Russia, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, China, Australia, South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania, Kenya, Czechia, Poland, Slovakia, Austria, Hungary, Serbia, Bosnia, Croatia, Slovenia, Ireland.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Been to:

England
France
Belgium
Netherlands
Senegal
Bali, Indonesia
Canada

Bucket list:

Germany
Austria
Spain
New Zealand
Thailand

·
Registered
Sibelius, Beethoven, Satie, Debussy
1,534 Posts
My bucket list focuses more on cities than countries. I've been to Germany, twice, but I can't say that I've yet got a feel for either the place or the people since the first was a flight into Frankfurt where I never left the airport (a disatrous trek) and the second was to go to WB Movie World nr. Dusseldorf!

So, I want to go to Berlin and stay long enough to soak up what it is to be a Berliner. I'd also like to visit Vienna for the classical highlights and the cake.

I've been to the US - Boston for a day and Hartford for a week, on business - and on a theme park holiday in Florida. Can I say that I "understand" Americans better as a consequence when I've never ventured further west?

For the rest, I favour the Nordic countries. I'd like to return to both Sweden and Finland, having already done the capitals, and explore the lesser known parts. I'd also like to go to Oslo and Reykjavik, but get out of both cities to sample the countryside..

I'm not a great flyer, so I'm unlikely to try further afield, and anyway, my wife wants us to go to Dublin and back to the Western Isles of Scotland (me too - utterly beautiful).

I have also enjoyed trips to Paris (my homeymoon), Boulogne and Calais (duty free day trips), St Omer and Ypres (school trip) Amsterdam (New Year holiday, and I'd like to go back there), and family holidays in Wales (St David's, Tenby, Cardiff, Snowdonia and Portmeirion.)

I've lived in England all my life, so Scotland and Wales, within easy reach, are not foreign places to be visited in the same way as 'going abroad' to Europe. I bought my clan kilt in Fort William and enjoyed both the Edinburgh Military Tattoo and the Fringe festival when I had just finished college.

Apologies to anyone living in parts more far: I have no wish to go to South America, Africa, Australasia or Asia.

·
Registered
21,311 Posts
My top five would be ...

Italy
Egypt
India
Spain
Turkey

I've been to China a few times but I haven't gone to Beijing yet, so if we did cities....

Rome
Cairo
Istanbul
Beijing
Florence

1 - 20 of 71 Posts