Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
Haydn, Mozart, Vivaldi, Wagner
13,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Another in my top 5. love this opera. which versions do i have to own and why?

i'll tell my favorite later. :eek:

·
Registered
448 Posts
While there is an array of formidable recordings, I often find myself gravitating back toward this one...

Thomas Stewart
Sandor Konya
Gundula Janowitz
Thomas Hemsley
Brigitte Fassbaender
Gerhard Unger
Franz Crass
Bavarian Radio Symphony & Chorus/Rafael Kubelík

·
Registered
262 Posts
While there is an array of formidable recordings, I often find myself gravitating back toward this one...

Thomas Stewart
Sandor Konya
Gundula Janowitz
Thomas Hemsley
Brigitte Fassbaender
Gerhard Unger
Franz Crass
Bavarian Radio Symphony & Chorus/Rafael Kubelík
I'm hoping to get that one someday, I've heard it's great.

Another studio recording from the previous decade that I enjoy greatly is this one:

Ferdinand Frantz (Hans Sachs), Rudolf Schock (Walther von Stolzing), Elisabeth Grümmer (Eva), Benno Kusche (Sixtus Beckmesser), Gottlob Frick (Veit Pogner, Gerhard Unger (David), Marga Höffgen (Magdalene), Gustav Neidlinger (Fritz Kothner), Horst Wilhelm (Kunz Vogelgesang), Walter Stoll (Konrad Nachtigall), Manfred Schmidt (Balthasar Zorn), Leoplod Clam (Ulrich Eisslinger), Herold Kraus (Augustin Moser), Robert Koffmane (Hermann Ortel), Anton Metternich (Hans Schwarz), Hanns Pick (Hans Foltz), Hermann Prey (Nachtwächter)

Chor der Deutschen Oper Berlin, Chor der Deutschen Staatsoper Berlin, Chor der St Hedwigs-Kathedral Berlin, Berliner Philharmoniker, Rudolf Kempe (conductor)

Mono recording, 1956. No longer available on EMI (I think), but Arkivmusic sells their custom-burn licensed release, and it's available at download sites as well.

·
Premium Member
13,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
there are 2 complete on youtube that are excellent, Abendroth and Furtwangler.

i think the youtuber is Beyreuthathon or close to that.

·
Banned
4,481 Posts
Nobody sings final aria like Rene Kollo on Karajan's recording, even Kollo on Solti's recording. Too bad that the recording as a whole if far from perfection of main character.

·
Premium Member
13,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Domingo is superb on the Jochum.

·
Premium Member
13,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Premium Member
13,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
listening to Abendroth right now and it's excellent.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I know that in many quarters, a critical consensus has gravitated towards the Kubelik interpretation-- but my VERY favorite Meistersinger recording is the Grammy-winning, Penguin Guide top rated set by Solti and the Chicago S.O.

I can also listen with pleasure to the Sawallisch-Bavarian Orchestra recording... And (if memory serves) you can get this one at a bargain price, if you're willing to pick up the "libretto-free" version of this set.

·
Premium Member
13,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok, my favorite is the Jochum dgg, with the great Domingo performance and wonderful conducting of EJ. I'm not put off by DFD's Sachs. Some scenes I like him, some not so much.But the recording, as a whole, is, I think, wonderful.

i like the Karajan mono and the Abendroth mono,too.

anything with Kollo is out, just don't like him.

·
Registered
15,706 Posts
I know, old thread, but it is a short thread and a good place for me to start my quest.
First, I have only one Meistersinger on CD and so it currently is my favorite
(and also shares several singers with my one DVD):

However I have been salivating over this one (because I expect Janowitz to be superb),
but it is very expensive:

And then this one looks interesting (for Christa Ludwig),
but I have not done a thorough job of researching Meistersingers:

Someone predicted that I was going to go on a run with Meistersingers!:lol:

Reactions: SiegendesLicht

·
Premium Member
13,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I love all 3. :)

Spectacular sound on the Solti.
DFD and Domingo heavenly.
Stewart, Janowitz great singing.

love em all

Reactions: SixFootScowl

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
I've just finished listening to the Munich 1979 Meistersinger conducted beautifully by Sawallisch with Fischer-Dieskau as Sachs, Kurt Moll as Pogner, Kollo as Walther, Schreier as David, Hans Gunter Nocker as Beckmesser, Julia Varady as Eva and Cornelia Wulkopf as Magdalena.

I wasn't too familiar with the Beckmesser or the Lena but they are both very good. Nocker in particular sings the part very well with no trace of caricature which can so often mar many a Beckmesser. Kollo and Schreier are both in great voice and sound as good, if not better than their Dresden outing with Karajan. Now I know F-D has his detractors but my goodness, it's so good to hear Sachs sung as well as this and there is no hint of roughness anywhere in this interpretation. In fact there is a liederish quality that F-D brings to it that suits Sachs monologues extremely well. All round I really enjoyed this Meistersinger and while it won't replace Kubelik or Karajan as my two current favourites it is certainly in my top ten.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
I recently listened to extended parts of the Solti/VPO, Solti/CSO, Sawallisch/BRSO and Levine/Met recordings and decided that the older Solti/VPO was the one that came closest to satisfying and mainly for the Sachs of Norman Bailey, there was something about both Van Dam & Weikl which didn't quite match my mental picture of the character. Now if I were choosing it based on the Eva, then it would be Levine for Karita Mattila. At some time, given the opportunity, I would like to sample Goodall's version.

As an aside, there is an interesting background to the Karajan/Dresden recording. The recording had been planned for 1968 with Sir John Barbirolli conducting, but that was around the time of Czech invasion and Rafael Kubelik prevailed on Barbirolli to not work in East Germany. The recording was put on hold until 1970 by which time Barbirolli had died so HvK was invited although the recording producer remained Ronald Kinlock Anderson who had regularly worked with Barbirolli but not HvK.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
I recently listened to extended parts of the Solti/VPO, Solti/CSO, Sawallisch/BRSO and Levine/Met recordings and decided that the older Solti/VPO was the one that came closest to satisfying and mainly for the Sachs of Norman Bailey, there was something about both Van Dam & Weikl which didn't quite match my mental picture of the character. Now if I were choosing it based on the Eva, then it would be Levine for Karita Mattila. At some time, given the opportunity, I would like to sample Goodall's version.

As an aside, there is an interesting background to the Karajan/Dresden recording. The recording had been planned for 1968 with Sir John Barbirolli conducting, but that was around the time of Czech invasion and Rafael Kubelik prevailed on Barbirolli to not work in East Germany. The recording was put on hold until 1970 by which time Barbirolli had died so HvK was invited although the recording producer remained Ronald Kinlock Anderson who had regularly worked with Barbirolli but not HvK.
Goodall's English Meistersinger is very good apart from beng rather poorly recorded. It sounds as though the cd's have been mastered from vinyl and not the master tapes.

Apparently for political reasons HvK was "encouraged", shall we say, to use Theo Adam for Sachs, who was not first choice for the part. If memory serves HvK's choice would have been Karl Ridderbusch but I'm happy to be corrected on this if someone knows differently.

Reactions: hpowders

·
Registered
390 Posts
Recordings I have, in order of preference
Kubelik
Solti/VPO
Knappertsbusch
Sawallisch

Although there is not much space among the top three. The Knappertsbusch on LP was how I came to know the opera.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.