Classical Music Forum banner

Which of these four Szell Beethoven 5ths do you like best?

• Cleveland

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Amsterdam

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Vienna

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Dresden

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
I've only heard the Cleveland and the Amsterdam recordings, and haven't heard the latter for about the last 30 years. If I recall, it was a shade more relaxed than the Cleveland recording. I would like to hear the other two but probably won't have time for a while...

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hi. I've just joined your forum (I'm a new Kid in town)
I've got in cd Cleveland and Concertgebouw and in a podcast Dresde (from an spanish radio program, where it was presented as, perhaps, the best 5th ever recorded).
I admit the Concertgebouw Is my favourite Orchestra but that's not the point. I voted for the Ámsterdam recording but as Far as I,m concerned the best 1st movement Is the cleveland's.
Best wishes to all.

·
Registered
42,890 Posts
Hi. I've just joined your forum (I'm a new Kid in town)
I've got in cd Cleveland and Concertgebouw and in a podcast Dresde (from an spanish radio program, where it was presented as, perhaps, the best 5th ever recorded).
I admit the Concertgebouw Is my favourite Orchestra but that's not the point. I voted for the Ámsterdam recording but as Far as I,m concerned the best 1st movement Is the cleveland's.
Best wishes to all.
Welcome to Talk Classical, have a nice time amongst us.

·
Registered
Brahms, Mozart, Sibelius
11,108 Posts
I have Szell's Cleveland and Amsterdam performances on vinyl. As far as I can tell, his interpretations seem pretty similar. I think the chief differences between the two relate to how they were recorded and the location they were recorded in. Cleveland's home is (was) Severance Hall; Amsterdam's venue has long been the Concertgebouw. The latter offers a warmer, more burnished sound while the former, renovated during the time Szell conducted, increased the degree of reflectiveness of the hall's surface structures, thereby imparting a more brilliant acoustic. Though both renditions are very fine, my preference is for the Cleveland performance, which seems to reveal more about the kind of detail and expression Szell wanted to convey with his orchestra.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.