Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a number of small gatherings over Christmas – 4 people max, and have a Christmas play list played via the SONOS system throughout the house.

Every visitor has commented, and I agree, what a beautiful piece of music “L’Enfance du Christ” by Berlioz is.

Of all the religious Christmas music I played this is my favourite.

If you had to pick one piece what is your favourite classical Christmas music?

·
Registered
Mahler
3,907 Posts
Norman Dello Joio: Variants on a Medieval Tune

Variations on "Good Christmas Men Rejoice".

·
Registered
15 Posts
It changes pretty much every Christmas but for this past one mine would have to be the finale from Praetorius - Lutheran Mass For Christmas Morning (Praetorius: Recessional: "In dulci jubilo" - Polyhymnia caduceatrix ). It's just so powerful and I've never heard brass featured so heavily for Christmas before. But it's so fitting for the incarnation.

Here is a link with the time stamp when the song starts.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I have had a number of small gatherings over Christmas - 4 people max, and have a Christmas play list played via the SONOS system throughout the house.

Every visitor has commented, and I agree, what a beautiful piece of music "L'Enfance du Christ" by Berlioz is.

Of all the religious Christmas music I played this is my favourite.

If you had to pick one piece what is your favourite classical Christmas music?
Do you mean the whole of "L'Enfance" or just the Shepherds' Farewell?

My answer to your final question is Bach's Christmas Oratorio, especially but not only the opening chorus "Jauchzet, frohlocket".

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Favorite Christmas classics:

1. Corelli: Christmas Concerto
2. Rimsky-Korsakov: Christmas Eve Suite
3. Menotti: Ahmal and the Night Visitors
4. The first half of Handel's Messiah (Though the second "Easter" part is just as good)
5. Jessye Norman's Christmas Album The whole record is done without a break between songs almost like a Christmas cantata and Norman's falcon soprano juxtaposed to the orchestra and boys' choir takes one into a "Christmas in Outer Space".
6. Luciano Pavarotti's Christmas album The fat man's rich tenor was in full form when Luciano made this record. It was my first introduction to Berlioz' beautiful Sanctus from the Requiem which Pavarotti sings as a stand alone.
7, 8 & 9: The Christmas CDs I own of the King's Choir, St. John's Choir, and Cambridge Choirs. All are from England, and are quite reverent and beautiful. Though my ancestry is supposed to Italian-Mexican-Native American; I wonder if a DNA test will reveal just a few drops of English blood.
10. Leonard Bernstein's Christmas album that he made with the New York Philharmonic and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir; when the swinging Broadway Bernstein meets up with the Mormons who hail from the heart of the American West it's over-the-top experience.

Honorable Mention: Mario Lanza singing The First Noel. Mario really puts his heart and soul into it, and one almost thinks that he must bust a gut on that final high note!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you mean the whole of "L'Enfance" or just the Shepherds' Farewell?

My answer to your final question is Bach's Christmas Oratorio, especially but not only the opening chorus "Jauchzet, frohlocket".
Thank you.

Yes it was the Shepherds farewell - almost everybody commented on it - even though they have never heard it before or haven't particularly listened to much classical music in the past.

I hadn't realised it was part of an Oratoria - I will now buy the whole piece.

Do you recommend a recording?

Kind Regards,

·
Registered
33,173 Posts
Thank you.

Yes it was the Shepherds farewell - almost everybody commented on it - even though they have never heard it before or haven't particularly listened to much classical music in the past.

I hadn't realised it was part of an Oratoria - I will now buy the whole piece.

Do you recommend a recording?

Kind Regards,
Sir Andrew Davis made a recording not so long ago, stunning, I am always talking CD, try You Tube or a some streaming service. Good luck .

·
Registered
494 Posts
Only recently started posting again...& maybe this isn't the best time of year - but maybe someone will see it come December, & give it a try !
Christopher Rouse's Karolju - perhaps not entirely 'as it seems', but uplifting music on Christmas morning nonetheless.
Product Orange Amber Font Material property

1 - 14 of 14 Posts