Classical Music Forum banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I usually can't answer questions like this but this one is easy, Dvorak's setting is some of the most beautiful heart-rending choral writing I know. That's despite him not really being a favourite composer of mine.

If you like Cornysh and Browne's settings then you might want to give Richard Davy's version a listen to, from the same era part of the Eton Choirbook

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Dvorak's is a bewildering cornucopia of different emotions, with more drama than most operas... an incredible piece. The Liszt is also very good.

Reactions: leonsm

·
Registered
225 Posts
The one I've heard most times is Dvorak. Very emotional.
Yesterday I heard for the first time a recording of Boccherini's Stabat Mater, played by La Follia under Miguel de la Fuente, and I liked it a LOT.
I don't know whether it was Tamara Hert or Kumiko Oshita, but at least one soprano impressed me.

G

·
After my initial listen, I have to say that, like many on here, I really enjoy the Pergolesi Stabat Mater. That said, after that, it is really the renaissance Stabat Maters that I most enjoy, especially over the Rossini, Poulenc, and the Szymanowski. I still mean to try the Dvorak.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts

My favourite Stabat Mater & my favourite interpretation with Riccardo Muti. Rossini has composed quite 'merry' tunes to the texts that mostly are said to be 'sad', maintaining a quite undogmatic approach to this Church music. Personally I like the uplifting mood of Rossini's music pervading the whole work.

·
Registered
13,134 Posts
Szymanowski: Stabat Mater, Op. 53. I'm pleased to see that so many agree.

My preferred recording is Polish State PO/Stryja et al (Marco Polo, Naxos, rec. 1988). Soloists are superbly positioned and caught. Stryja's reading is high energy. I can't imagine better performance or atmosphere for this work. Therefore, I've declared it a Certified Perfect Recording.:tiphat:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I recently purchased Marco Rosano`s, Stabat Mater with Andreas Scholl, on mp3. Great in the car . I think my next purchase will be, Vivaldi`s Stabat Mater, Andreas Scholl, Ensemble 415 and chiara banchini

·
Registered
15,439 Posts
I have the Poulenc and Penderecki, but I haven't even listened to them. Shame on me! Will rectify that. The Szymanowski sounds beautiful.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Unknown to me until I sang it a couple of years ago: the Stabat Mater of Josef Rheinberger. No idea if there's a recording.

It's worth noting that there is a textual intersection between the Stabat Mater and The Seven Last Words, of which I've sung settings by Schütz, Dubois and Franck--and especially love the last named.

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
1. Szymanowski
2. Pergolesi
3. Steffani
4. Browne
5. Josquin
6. Palestrina
7. Astorga
8. Anerio
9. Caldara
10. Dvorak
11. Rossini

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
A difficult one, this...I do love a good Stabat Mater...just like putting on a Requiem is the very best thing to cheer you up?!

I think that I'd have to choose Poulenc's...I love the grave introduction & first intonations to the 'Stabat Mater' poem and then the shapely musical phrasing to the word 'dolorosa'. It immediately knicks me into a certain mood that is both serious and deeply felt. It reminds me of my Catholic upbringing I suppose... 'Once a Catholic, always a Catholic' et al....a truism, methinks.

Publication Poster Font Advertising Illustration

BBC's Cd Review considered Vivaldi's... the other Saturday if anyone is interested and can listen to same where they are...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01wys2g

21 - 40 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.