· Registered
8,950 Posts
At the moment probably...

Gubaidulina
Crumb
Saariaho
Penderecki
Kurtag

A living composer I'm looking forward to getting more familiarized with is Philippe Manoury.
Gah... how could I forget Francisco López?

Revised List:

Gubaidulina
Crumb
Saariaho
López
Penderecki

I'm sure I'll think of another composer I'm forgetting in a few minutes...listing just 5 is pretty tough.

· Registered
Mahler
4,693 Posts
curse of the band junkie

David Maslanka
Donald Grantham
Frank Ticheli
David Gillingham
Karel Husa (94)

:D:D:D

Honorable Mention:
Michael Daughtery (composed some great band works)
Mark Camphouse
Cindy McTee
Ron Nelson

Reactions: Morimur

· Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Saariaho
Gubaidulina
Nørgård
Chin
Furrer, barely beating out Murail

Looks like Kurtag and Haas are where I should be listening.

· Registered
5,299 Posts
John Adams
Saariaho
Gubaidulina
Pärt

I'm having trouble coming up with a fifth composer. Admittedly, I don't listen to living composers very often. I do like some of the music of Reich, Glass, Penderecki, Brett Dean. I can't make up my mind because I don't have enough information. I'd be an uninformed voter if I made my final choice.

· Banned
4,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
John Adams
Saariaho
Gubaidulina
Pärt

I'm having trouble coming up with a fifth composer. Admittedly, I don't listen to living composers very often. I do like some of the music of Reich, Glass, Penderecki, Brett Dean. I can't make up my mind because I don't have enough information. I'd be an uninformed voter if I made my final choice.
Kurtág-you won't be disappointed.

· Registered
1,864 Posts
Some of the Japanese dudes and chicks are pretty good.

Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening/Night by Sachiko M, Toshimaru Nakamura, and Otomo Yoshihide:

Michael Pisaro is also great, sort of a successor to Cage and Feldman. A Wave and Waves:

Richard Barret is excellent, excellent, excellent. Both instrumental stuff and electronic stuff. I like his pacing, rhythm, and thought. A lot of stuff can be found on soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/
Pierluigi Billone has very exciting music:
Francis Dhomont has high quality concrete music:
Salvatore Sciarrino:
Keith Rowe:

· Banned
9,050 Posts
My top five (and these composers are enjoying success, rightfully):

- Alma Deustcher (born 2005, therefore 21st century composer)
- Alex Prior (born 1992)
- Christopher Bond (born 1992)
- Jay Greenberg (born 1991)
- Krzysztof Penderecki (born 1933)

· Registered
1,203 Posts
It's amazing to think that Penderecki was a world famous composer (as composers go) before he turned 30. (His Threnody was premiered when he was 27.)

I saw Penderecki conduct his St. Luke's Passion, leading the LA Philharmonic. I was star-struck, sitting in the front row. The Evangelist whose feet I looked up at was none other than Gregory Peck. He could do stentorian better than pretty much anybody. Phyllis Bryn-Julson (a Boulez favorite) was the lead soprano, and the Polish baritone, Andrzej Hiolski, performed the role he had played at the work's world premiere: Jesus Christ. It was LA: we're entitled to star-studded affairs.

· Registered
8,581 Posts
It's amazing to think that Penderecki was a world famous composer (as composers go) before he turned 30. (His Threnody was premiered when he was 27.)

I saw Penderecki conduct his St. Luke's Passion, leading the LA Philharmonic. I was star-struck, sitting in the front row. The Evangelist whose feet I looked up at was none other than Gregory Peck. He could do stentorian better than pretty much anybody. Phyllis Bryn-Julson (a Boulez favorite) was the lead soprano, and the Polish baritone, Andrzej Hiolski, performed the role he had played at the work's world premiere: Jesus Christ. It was LA: we're entitled to star-studded affairs.
Sounds like a fantastic experience.

41 - 60 of 113 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.