Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Im on a Zinka Milanov bender. There was an old Milanov thread that had the warning at the end to start a new thread so that is what I am doing.

She is great, yes even late Milanov. Amazing. Under-appreciated and one of the most unfairly "slammed" sopranos in that people make this enormous distinction between early and late Milanov. Obviously Il trovatore is huge problem for me like everyone else. But that isn't her fault.

Pristineclassical is a good place to start: it offers

1) Ballo with Bjorling live
2) Aida with Bjorling studio
3) Tosca with Bjorling studio
4) Andrea Chenier with Del Monaco live
5) Aida with Del Monaco live
6) Missa Solemnis live
7) Requiem with Bjorling live

The Ballo is impeccable and an excellent transfer, Immortal Performances has a comparable one. The Aida is one of the great recordings even if it isn't quite as electric as the Callas version. I have to listen to the Tosca one more to comment. The Requiem is excellent though I think Moscona is a liability. I have not listened to the Andrea Chenier, Aida, or Missa, nor purchased them, I probably should.

The next place to look is Immortal Performances for that Gioconda. I prefer the later one from the Met with Tucker because the sound is so much better. And the new Di Stefano set has nice remasterings of Milanov's (late) recordings of Gioconda and Forza. She made an earlier set of Forza selections that everyone thinks is superior and perhaps it is, but she is still wonderful. Finally I think the Met Forza on Sony is superb. And that's late.

Finally the Il trovatore reissue on Naxos (amongst others). Her singing and everyone elses' is impreccable. The conducting is a real problem. A snooze.

I havent brought myself to listen to her Norma.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
I’m sorry I don’t know much about Milanov who was a mainstay of the Metropolitan Opera house in the years before I started attending opera performances. Her reputation was rather spoiled by the late-career recordings, displaying a rather blowsy voice and some nice pianissimi. She was rather good in dramatic soprano repertoire that didn’t require agility but she had a rather old-fashioned way of singing and sound to match. Mind you, I never had the curiosity to dig deeply into any recordings, early, late, or live.

Unfortunately, people who have or had heard her live at the Metropolitan Opera are probably all dead and cannot opine about her singing there but the ones that I had known and spoke to, spoke of her in glowing terms.

The Pristine Classical recordings are justly famous and have brought many ancient recordings to life like no other company (the Metropolitan Opera’s own issues pale in comparison) - my favorite are theLa Scala 1950 Der Ring des Nibelungen with Flagstad and Furtwängler.

Hope you attract better comments than my own on this thread - no doubt there are many out there with something to say! Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts